Should I leave it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B192734

Reaction score
So a while ago, I racked from a secondary on raspberries, into another carboy without raspberries. Topped it up with some extra must, and let it sit. So after about a month and a half, I noticed that it's thrown another small layer of sediment. Should I rack it off of this sediment, or is it an issue? The mead is beginning to clear up now. I can see my hand through it, but it still has a ways to go before bottling. I just need to know if I should rack it off or if sitting on the sediment will do anything to the flavor.

It's recommended to continue to rack when the lees (sediment layer) gets about 3/4" to 1" deep.

I don't know if there's a reason why, perhaps with dead yeast autolysis is a factor.

In any case. I try to rack a few times between secondary/tertiary and bottling just to make sure it's as clear as I can get it, and when I do the final racking to bottling bucket that there's not a yeast layer to kick up and cloud my bottles.

Back