Should I filter the wort or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrryghst

Reaction score
The owner of the LHBS shop told me I should not use the removable strainer in my funnel when pouring the chilled wort into the fermenter (i use a 6-gal carboy). He said the junk you filter out will just settle at the bottom of the fermenter anyway, but when you use a strainer you are also filtering out long-chain carbs and proteins that add to the beer's body. I've always used the strainer in the past, but my beers have also been very thin.

Agree?? Disagree?? Discuss...

I think his reasoning is suspect but I agree with not filtering. I don't think it makes an ounce of difference in the beer but I have never used that filter that it did not completely clog and cause a hassle. Just dump it all in and it will settle out just like he said.

There is no way a funnel strainer filters long-chain anything or proteins. You could try a 20x20 or 30x30 mesh SS screen if you want to get some of the trub but just letting it settle out will work with no ill effects.

Straining also helps to aerate the wort as you pour it in, but I don't think it's necessary. To each their own. I don't strain personally and let things just settle out.

I agree, I doubt it is going to strain out the proteins. I strain but it is more to add as much air as possible for the yeast.

I double strain without any major issue...I dont use hop-bags at the moment so I use a wide-guage strainer when I pour my wort into the chiller, then I use a smaller gauge to strain it into the fermenter, its actually a double strainer-funnel for the fermenter.

No issues, and I can always taste my long-chain proteins. :drunk:

Straining won't remove the proteins like he's saying. That said, I use a metal strainer:

image_676.jpg

just to strain out any hop sludge and adjuncts (orange peel in a Belgian Wit for example) when going from my kettle to fermenter. Works awesome.

Rev.

Straining won't remove the proteins like he's saying. That said, I use a metal strainer:

image_676.jpg

just to strain out any hop sludge and adjuncts (orange peel in a Belgian Wit for example) when going from my kettle to fermenter. Works awesome.

Rev.

+1 We just started brewing but this is the EXACT strainer we used when going to the primary from the kettle. Seems to work great, Ill let you guys know after the first batch.

I always use a strainer to strain out the hops sludge. It helps with aeration which is what you want. Never heard of any negatives. 'filtering out long-chain carbs and proteins' sounds implausible.

I double strain without any major issue...I dont use hop-bags at the moment so I use a wide-guage strainer when I pour my wort into the chiller, then I use a smaller gauge to strain it into the fermenter, its actually a double strainer-funnel for the fermenter.

You pour hot wort into a chiller?

He's right, you don't have to strain if you don't want to.

It's one of those things that is a matter of personal preference and nothing else. Some dump everything in, without straining, just pour it in the bucket or in the funnel....Some use a big strainer that fit in the funnel for a carboy, or a sanitized 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag in the bucket...

I have done it all ways. It really doesn't matter...anything will settle.

In other words, there is no wrong way to do it, or better way, or way that will make the best beer...they all work...the choice is what will work the best for you. That's how you develop you own unique brewing process. By trying all ways and deciding what works best for you.

What I do with my IC, is chill the wort, then I lean the bottom of my autosiphon about two coils up from the bottom on the metal of the siphon. That rests it above most of the break material and trub, then I rack it to the fermenter until I'm down to that and carefully lower the siphon down into the gunk, just trying to get as much of the wort as possible without letting in the hops and break matter.

But pretty much up until I got my immersion chiller I just dumped for the majority of my batches. And I still managed to do well in contests...

I find that long primaries render my beer just as clear, and crisp tasting regardless of whether I dumped it all in or not....so I just do what works for me.....

You have to realize that in brewing there are many way to achieve the same goal, and they all work. There's rarely a single right way or best way to do something, just the way that is best for you.

chrryghst said:
He said the junk you filter out will just settle at the bottom of the fermenter anyway, but when you use a strainer you are also filtering out long-chain carbs and proteins

I got a hole in my funnel strainer once and had to pick out all the long chain protiens and carbs with a sterilized pair of salad tongs!

Back