Should I drink em yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhobs126

Reaction score
I've been brewing for almost a year now. I try and save 1 beer from each brew and bottle from my keg. I label and put away in my pantry, way back in the dark. My question is the first is coming up on one year old now. Should I start drinking some of these or just forget about them and keep them. My dilemma is once there gone there gone but if I keep too long are they gonna get funky?

It will depend on the style. Some beers age better than others, while others are better fresh like IPAs.

I've been brewing for almost a year now. I try and save 1 beer from each brew and bottle from my keg. I label and put away in my pantry, way back in the dark. My question is the first is coming up on one year old now. Should I start drinking some of these or just forget about them and keep them. My dilemma is once there gone there gone but if I keep too long are they gonna get funky?

Why are you keeping them? Few beers age well, although there are some that improve with age, like barleywines.

If you're saving them for sentimental reasons, you might as well keep them. If you're saving them to consume, it's probably a bit too late for the early ones depending on the type as most beers peak in much less than a year's time.

Bigger, malty beers age well (stouts, porters, barleywines, big belgians), but hoppy beers dont. Depends on the style and reason for aging as mentioned above.

I was wondering how they got bottled. straight from the keg with forced CO2? or counter presure filling? Or bottle conditioned (ie carbed in the bottle)? I only ask because even if it is a beer that will keep, improper filling can result in oxidation.

I think amandad summed it all up for me. My original goal was to re brew beers and taste the old to compare but the bug bit me and I had to make all different types of beer.

Ive had 3 of mine that came into their own at the 12 month mark. Barleywine, RIS, and a big Baltic Porter. All my other beers were pretty much at their peak at 6-8 weeks.

Back