Should I do this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deafmeadmaker

Deafmeadmaker
Reaction score
Made a blueberry mead last month. 5 lbs of honey, 2 lbs of frozen blueberries from Costco, tablespoon of Lemon juice and some Red Star Montchalet. A nice one gallon test batch. OG 1.16
There was a nice yeast eruption and it turned color like a good mead is supposed to, even bubbled and turned the airlock purple on occasion. Took a reading over the weekend and guess what? It's 1.16!
At first I thought I'd wait another month, then I had my bright idea. What if I strained the blueberries out, mashed them up and reintroduce it to the primary along with a new packet of yeast.
Is this a good idea or is there a better way? I don't want to chuck this in the failed attempts bin just yet. If I look closely I can see pinhead size bubbles still coming up between the blueberries

There's no way you added yeast and got zero fermentation. I'd be worried about sanitation of the berries. Are you sure you're reading your hydrometer correctly?

Yes, you can add yeast and get zero fermentation. Either the yeast is dead or the Gravity is so high the yeast don't even try. Based on your 1.160 Gravity, I'm going to go with the second one.

5 pounds of honey in a gallon! In actuality, that is a calculated SG of 1.200, so your yeast probably did something. You likely didn't mix the honey all the way and got an erroneously low SG.

No wonder you are stuck. You need to dilute this to 1.14 at least to get it to ferment. Diluting to 1.12 would be better to avoid massive fusel production from the yeast.

Made a blueberry mead last month. 5 lbs of honey, 2 lbs of frozen blueberries from Costco, tablespoon of Lemon juice and some Red Star Montchalet. A nice one gallon test batch. OG 1.16
There was a nice yeast eruption and it turned color like a good mead is supposed to, even bubbled and turned the airlock purple on occasion. Took a reading over the weekend and guess what? It's 1.16!
At first I thought I'd wait another month, then I had my bright idea. What if I strained the blueberries out, mashed them up and reintroduce it to the primary along with a new packet of yeast.
Is this a good idea or is there a better way? I don't want to chuck this in the failed attempts bin just yet. If I look closely I can see pinhead size bubbles still coming up between the blueberries

Are you sure it's not 1.016? Double check the reading, to make sure the hydrometer is floating and not resting on the bottom or sides, and report back so we can better advise!

Are you sure it's not 1.016? Double check the reading, to make sure the hydrometer is floating and not resting on the bottom or sides, and report back so we can better advise!

I wish it was that low. Nope. That lil' bugger floated so high I thought he was doggie paddling. I spun it around a couple of times and she came to rest on 1.16.
I mostly followed the advice of Loveofrose. I removed the berries and added water until I got a SG of 1.08. Reoxygenated it of course. (Read: shook the beejeebies out of it.) Put a half packet of Lavelin D in. I'll step feed it this weekend.
When I put four pounds of honey in my traditional, I found it dry tasting. I like things a bit on the sweet side, so five pounds per gallon. I can understand why people asked if I was reading the hydrometer correctly and I'm not offended. It took me a while to figure out what those lines meant. To my embarrassment I stumbled across the correct formula for computing ABV a few months ago. I'll let you know how it's going

I am no expert, but as the blueberries macerate in the mead, perhaps they release sugars that bring your gravity up.

Also, you might try a different yeast next time; Lalvin D47 has been suggested as very good for mead.

But like I said, I have no real idea. When in doubt, listen to Yooper's advice - she knows what's what! :mug:

Back