Should I disassemble my keg after every batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yetanothersteve

Reaction score
I have a Torpedo keg with ball-lock fittings.

• After it was empty, I rinsed it thoroughly
  • I filled it 3/4 of the way with hot water and added PBW
  • Inserted lid, pressurized to 10psi, ran about 4oz. solution through the faucet and turned it upside down for an hour
  • Ran another 4oz. through the faucet and let it sit overnight
  • Drained and thoroughly rinsed the keg the next day
  • Rinsed CO2 ball lock tower at its connection to keg point and the tower for the CO2 ball lock
  • Disassembled faucet and put in bowl of hot water and PBW
I have seen YouTube videos of people who always disassemble the keg before using it again.
Is disassembly after every use really necessary?
Or can I trust the PBW and proceed with running water with StarSan through including pressurizing to go though the dip tube and the faucet?​

fwiw, it takes me 20 minutes to tear a keg down to bits, clean everything, then put it back together and fill with sanitizer. I do this every time a keg kicks, just out of GPs.

As for the lines/disconnects/faucets, every 2-3 weeks I plug all six beer line QDs into a manifold that is fed by a sump pump in a bucket of BLS or LLS mix, connect the faucet spouts to a "drain manifold" constructed from rigid PVC pipe and flexible PVC tubing that leads back to the pump bucket, and let it rip for a half hour. Then I'll flush out the cleaner with single-pass fresh water straight to the drain. This gets every bit of my keezer clean, end to end.

I don't ferment in kegs so if that's what's requiring the aggressive cleaning regimen I can respect that. Otherwise, it seems like wicked overkill...

Cheers!

Back