should i buy a kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelastdandy

Reaction score
i have a few batches under my belt, and recently ran into some cash. my question to you seasoned brewers is whether or not i should buy a kegerator. bottling for me is easy enough, but i am ambitious and constantly want to move forward in this hobby. i have no understanding of a kegerator, and i won't lie i am a little intimidated. cleaning the kegs seems like hard work, i have no idea on whether this changes the process of conditioning (do i condition in the corny instead of a keg?), and i'm not sure of the overall costs of maintainance vs. bottling. is this worth it for me to just blindly jump into and learn as i go? i've read so many threads that promote kegging, but my head is spinning right now. anyone want to try and sway me in either direction?

Go for it you will thank yourself later for it. Cleaning kegs is no harder than washing dishes.
I would build a kegerator out of a chest freezer than you can hold many kegs. I knew nothing at first learned it all on my own and it is really very easy.

Do it brother...

Relatively new to kegging myself but already can never see myself going back to bottling.

Some Kegging pros...

- Cleaning/sterilizing & racking to a keg is a breeze compared to bottling.

- Beer can be ready to drink within days of kegging (even hours depending on which carbing method you use)

- Beer can be aged warm in kegs just the same as when bottled

- It's just damn cool having beer on tap in your own house

Kegging cons...

- Well, it costs more in initial outlay

- Bit of a learning curve involved

I jumped right in myself without any experience but with forums like this and your friendly LHBS, any & all questions can be answered instantly.

You won't regret it:mug:

do you guys usally prime a beer or force carb? that is one of the most confusing parts for me (there is a chart on here that i didn't quite understand about how many psi to use intially). initally, i'm also worried about buying all this stuff (including a fridge) and some how purchasing the wrong parts or something stupid. i am completely ignorant to this subject. should i buy a preassembled set up or is it really easy enough to put one of these together on my own. i am very handy, just not with the parts and methods required of me doing this.

I force carb as I'm sure most do, but either will work fine. If you prime in the keg you'll just have blast it with enough pressure once filled & primed to seal it properly.

Some tips I've learned through trial and error...

When force carbing, the most foolproof way is to simply set your regulator to whatever your serving pressure will be (often around 10-12 psi depending on style of beer and fridge temperature) and let sit for a week or two. Rather than 30-40 psi for a couple of days then reducing it to serving pressure once carb.

This eliminates the possibility of "over-carbonating" your beer which I had issues with on my first batch.

But once you get the hang of things you can start tinkering with the process.

Another issue I had initially was that my beer line was to short.

Longer lines (6-10 ft) offer more resistance resulting in a slower pour with less foam. Length required again depends on the style of beer your dispensing as this will dictate the level of carbonation you'll be aiming for but anything in that ballpark will usually be fine

As far as what you'll need to buy...

Keg kit - Will include kegs, taps, connectors, lines, regulator, all the bits & pieces you'll need for the guts of your kegerator.

Fridge - If you're going with a bar fridge make you sure you have enough clearance height wise taking into account the freezer section.

CO2 bottle - Sometimes included in keg kit but if not will need to purchase separately otherwise.

And as far as setting it up, there's really nothing to it when you break it down...

Gas goes to keg - keg goes to tap - tap pours to glass ;) I was a little daunted myself when I received my keg kit but in hindsight, that's really all there is to it.

And honestly there's so much info on here that any questions you could possibly have, have already been asked and answered a hundred times over.

That probably sounds like of info but hopefully it'll answer some of your questions without creating too many new ones:mug:

Most of the time I force carbonate. If I'm doing a clone kit that has priming sugar, I toss that in.

The biggest problem people have initially is foaming. If you use 12' of 3/16ths tubing for the beer lines, you will not have a problem. Some people worry about balancing the line, but having too much line only slows the pour a bit. I do not time my pours, I just stop when the glass is full.

I will throw this out there for consideration. The first refrigerator I would buy would probably be a setup to control fermentation temps. That seemed to make a pretty substantial difference in beer quality. That being said, if you already have a satisfactory method of controlling things and/or are satisfied with the quality you're getting now, go for it! Kegging is awesome!

Kegging is certainly the way to go. I bought all the gear I needed off a guy on Craigslist for $70, I just had to supply the fridge (another $30 on Craigslist) and change the draft setup to soda keg compatible. One hole in the door later, and my fridge became a kegerator! I am not particularly handy, as you stated you are, and it was easy for me. It has made my brewing life much, much easier. Cleaning one keg is better than cleaning 50 bottles, and I think as mentioned before, there's nothing quite like pulling a draft beer at your own place!

The initial outlay seems steep, but if you are willing to piece it together yourself and consider 2 cases of bottles cost ~$50 and a keg is about $35, you can actually save a little money and a lot of time kegging!

I put off kegging for too long. I'm waiting for my christmas presents as we speak. I think about how many times I put off bottling for weeks because I was lazy. And how that ruined my pipeline. I think that itself will be worth it. I have been out of homebrew for the past month and am sick of drinking yuengling and miller lite (trying to save money since beer is killing my grocery budget!). And this is probably the 3rd time it has happened this year!

Today is hopefully the last time I will bottle in bulk. In fact I'm giving away 6+ cases of bottles this afternoon.

What niederhofer said - good stuff -

I've got a small fridge (holds two cornies) that has a hole in it (for the Co2 line) and no tower (just a picnic tap inside). Not a huge amount of money spent and well worth every dime. I don't like to clean bottles.

What niederhofer said - good stuff -

I've got a small fridge (holds two cornies) that has a hole in it (for the Co2 line) and no tower (just a picnic tap inside). Not a huge amount of money spent and well worth every dime. I don't like to clean bottles.

What kind (or size) of fridge did you get?

It was a full size fridge with a freezer on top. Right now, I have 2 cornies and a 20# CO2 tank in it, but can expand it as my brewery continues to grow and probably fit a couple more cornies. Freezer on top is used for frozen pint glasses, grains, hops and venison overflow from our house fridge. The fridge I bought for $30 on craigslist and had some rust on it, so I painted the entire front with Rustoleum Chalkboard Paint, and now it looks pretty nice. Also, its a great place for me to put a description of the beers coming out of the taps. If you are interested, I can take some pics when I get home.

I went to a buddy's of mine before I deployed and he put one of the beers I brewed on tap, and Wow, it was great. That is what got me going, by the time i get back from Afghanistan I will have a kegerator and beer on draft.

Back