should i boil the bottle or do i just have to sanitize them

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I bottle, I just dunk the bottles in a bucket of iodophor solution and let them soak for a couple minutes, then toss them on the diswasher rack to drain a bit. There are also handy pumps to spray sanitizer into the bottles, and I know some people use the oven to sterilize their bottles.

First they should be clean, then they should be sanatized. I sometimes use idophor but mostly I use the dishwasher on potscrubber cycle. Again, they are clean before I put them in the dishwasher and NO SOAP!

This is a topic I was going to ask about this week anyways. So...

When you sanitize your bottles do the bottles have to be completely dry before bottling the beer? If they have to be completely dry how long is it safe to leave them dry before filling them? I mean if I sanitize them in the dishwasher overnight but don't get to fill them until noon the next day (in other words they sit for hours before use) is that acceptable? Or should they be used as soon as they are dry?

Some sanitizers have "no rinse" concentrations where you sanitize and let them drain. There will still be droplets clinging to the surface when you use the gear. I am thinking about Iodophor at 12.5ppm and starsan.

Eves said:
This is a topic I was going to ask about this week anyways. So...

When you sanitize your bottles do the bottles have to be completely dry before bottling the beer? If they have to be completely dry how long is it safe to leave them dry before filling them? I mean if I sanitize them in the dishwasher overnight but don't get to fill them until noon the next day (in other words they sit for hours before use) is that acceptable? Or should they be used as soon as they are dry?
I'd use a no-rinse sanitizer like Starsan, as you can bottle beer whilst the bottles are still wet. I bottled one batch without Starsan, and I'm never doing it again.

What you want is "wet contact" with the no-rinse sanitizer. So you want to drain them, but not dry them before you fill them, a bottle tree is perfect because it upends them and lets them drain, and keeps stuff from falling in...

If you do sanitize them, and for whatever reason you can't go ahead and bottle and you want to protect them from anything getting it, you could either sanitize little pieces of tinfoil and seal the bottles, or what I do is lay some clean paper towel in the bottom of my bottle boxes and store them upside down until ready to go. Then at bottling you can give the mouth of the bottle a shot of sanitizer from a spray bottle.

First off. After emptying a demijon or carboy, rinse out sediment with hot water until no sediment is clinging to inside, then rinse again with hot water then a cold saturation. Tip upside down to air and gravity dry, when starting up again a bisullfite mix 1/4 tsp to a gallon of water will sanitize vessel, rinse with cold water prior to adding juice.

My method:
-Rinse bottles out well with water after finishing them, then just set them aside.
-When I have 50 (or whatever I need for my next batch), I do a full soak and clean in an oxyclean solution. After drying, I just box them up and store them. Sometimes thats a day, sometimes thats a month.
-On bottling day, rinse the bottles in a food grade no-rinse sanitizer like Star San immediately prior to bottling. Just pour the solution out before bottling, no need to rinse or wait for them to dry

This has proven to be the easiest method that is still safe sanitization wise for me personally.

I generally only sanitize by spraying the interior of the bottle with a spray bottle of starsan. Starsan is a no rinse sanitizer so you want to fill the bottle while it is still wet with sanitizer.

I know people go to great lengths to sanitize or even sterilize bottles. IMO it is way more important that your bottles are clean than trying to sterilize them. Clean out any trub/yeast/etc. in the bottom of the bottles when you empty them and make sure before bottling that you've rinsed them out to remove any dust that might accumulated. Dried yeast from a prior beer is likely to create gushers even if the dried yeast is all dead just because it forms nucleation sites. If you are deeply concerned with sanitizing the bottles an easy thing to do is fill your dishwasher with the bottles before bottling and run a hot rinse cycle. That will eliminate any dust in the bottles and most dishwashers will run hot enough for long enough to sufficiently sanitize them.

Here's my routine:

1) Immediately after pouring, fill the bottle about halfway with hot tap water, put my thumb over the opening, and shake it for several seconds. Drain, then rinse twice with hot water. Takes about 30 seconds.

2) Allow rinsed bottles to drain on my FastRack.

3) Once I fill my FastRack (24 bottles), and once they're all dry, I store them in 24-bottle cardboard boxes.

4) On bottling day, I give the bottles a dunk in StarSan. Allow them to gurgle full, then allow the StarSan to gurgle out. I figure this sanitizes and gives them a quick final rinse. I can sanitize 48 bottles this way in about 5-10 minutes.

Back