Should I be worried about bottle bombs w carb drops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drinksahoy

Reaction score
I made a banana cider and after about 5 days I racked off the yeast and and then 5 days later I bottled. It was crystal clear but I completely forgot To check the final gravity. I used carbonation drops and one I put in a pop top so I could monitor the process. I just went to open it for the first time and it had a lot more pressure than I expected, like a worrisome amount.

I've never had a bottle bomb but now I'm afraid to go near the bottles and certainly too afraid to attempt to ever open one!

Get some protective gear (glasses, gloves) and check the carbonation of one bottle. If they are good, put them in the fridge to stop the yeast from producing more co2.

I don't think you were done with the primary ferment. 5 days would be a pretty fast ferment. Carb drops shouldn't have enough sugar to over pressurize a 12 oz bottle.

I would pop the tops on all of them.

Back