Should I be concerned about using a rusty corny?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordan

Reaction score
Got what seemed like a good deal on a pin lock on Craiglist -- $15. Picked it up in a hurry, thinking the discolouration was gunk/old soda; after a series of very long soaks in Oxi, followed by PBW, it has become obvious that it is rust (or some other semi-permanent scarring.) I've put up a photo below; it's mostly found around the lip of the mouth, on the top of the lid, and in and around the threads on the posts; the posts themselves also have some minor discoloration/rust.

I'm desperate for kegging space, and as far as I can tell, nothing that CONTACTS the beer has rust on it -- just external parts. Is there any reason not to use the keg, aside from aesthetics?

7DEPNHR.jpg

green scrubby and bar keepers friend... elbow grease and your in the money.

-=Jason=-

Yup, Barkeepers Friend will get it right off. Probably without much elbow grease at all.

Yup! I would agree with the two posts above. Bar Keepers Friend should clean it right up AND help with the process of passivation for the stainless steel now rustless.

Mark

I use BKF all the time around the house. Since it's good on porcelain and stainless it's great for cleaning enameled cookware (like Le Cruset), it gets all the burnt on crud off my stovetop, gunk out of the tub, stains out of my kitchen sink, etc. Using it to clean up kegs is just a bonus :mug:

I can't believe I did not know of this product. Looks like my local Home Depot has it but there are many presentations, powder, paste, liquid, etc. Which one are you guys using and getting the best results?

Just wanted to follow up on this -- Bar Keeper's Friend worked perfectly! It took rust off with almost no elbow grease whatsoever. Highly recommended!

Back