Short life of keezers - failing too frequently

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timsch

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone else have a shorter life to their keezers than the'd expect? I have always used chest freezers, usually the smaller sizes since I only keep 3 Cornys in there. Mine have only been lasting 2-3 years before failing; not dying outright, but failing to keep temperatures low while the compressor seems to run all the time.

What are the tips for longevity? I understand people run fans inside. Does this help the life? Anything else?

Mine just went out and I haven’t had the time to troubleshoot it. I’ve been using it for 3 years. It’s much older however, it came with the house we bought 3 years ago

I use 3 minutes between when it goes off and when it can be started again. Don't remember where I read that(probably on an air conditioner compressor?), and I have 2 fridges and 1 freezer running at whatever temp I tell them to(mostly 38-40) that have been running for anywhere from 5-10 years. I have used the Inkbird controllers and home-grown controllers. The biggest thing I have had to do so far is replace a start capacitor on my beverage-air fridge last year.

On a trouble-shooting note, if you can get to it, check the compressor capacitor as that seems to be a frequent enough problem for some people..

It should also be noted, I tend to overshoot on the cooling a little, and set it to not start cooling until it is 3 degrees(F) warmer than my set point, so it runs a little longer and runs less frequently.

I have an STC2000 controller. I've used them for years with no problem I can see. I have the temperature range perhaps tighter than it needs to be. Probably +/- 1 or 2 degF, with a target of 40F. Never thought about a compressor delay, but it could be a setting on that unit.

I have an STC2000 controller. [...]
Never thought about a compressor delay, but it could be a setting on that unit.
Never heard of those. STC-1000, perhaps?
Yes, you certainly should set the compressor delay. 10 minutes is the maximum on those units, which works fine. I wouldn't go any lower, but much higher if it were possible, such as 30 minutes.

But, your minimum and maximum temp settings can also control the time between compressor engagement. ;)
The probe location and where it's attached are other variables that control compressor engagement frequency.
I have mine strapped to the bottom 1/3 of a keg, under a piece of 1/4" packing foam.

I use 3 minutes between when it goes off and when it can be started again.
You may want to rethink that. It's a fairly short interval, and may cause extra wear on the compressor, if the other factors (i.e., temp settings) allow it to cycle.

Last edited:
Where is your temperature sensor? If you have it in the air it will change very quickly, more ons and offs. Some rubber band it to a 12 can of beer, others submerge it in small container. For me I have it in an empty pill bottle with holes drilled at each end. It seems to do be a best of all the options for me in my fridge.

Does anyone else have a shorter life to their keezers than the'd expect? I have always used chest freezers, usually the smaller sizes since I only keep 3 Cornys in there. Mine have only been lasting 2-3 years before failing; not dying outright, but failing to keep temperatures low while the compressor seems to run all the time.
It may have to do with the quality of the freezers themselves. Most come from China, where quality of components, builds, and QC can vary widely.

Cycling too often can reduce lifespan, sure. If you notice it running longer over time, or more frequently, it's probably not cooling that well, due to the compressor (prematurely) worn out, or a slow refrigerant leak somewhere.

Yes, it's the STC-1000. I had it in the air for years, about halfway down. I recently started keeping it in a pint jar of water. It was at that time that I noticed the freezer having problems and more ice buildup on the sides than before. I had the jar on the step of the freezer, so maybe it was getting some heat from the compressor on the other side (?? maybe).

So, I'll add a compressor delay, and increase the temperature range. I'll put the sensor in some container surrounded by air rather than water. I don't know if I'll see an improvement for this keezer, but hopefully the next one will last more than a few years.

I'm on my second chest freezer in 15 yrs., and #2 is showing the same issues that plagued #1 .... increasingly slow recovery time. Both were name brand and purchased new from local family dealers. Servicemen checked #1 ... low freon, inaccessable leak somewhere. Recharge last a short time. Dealership blamed "paper-thin copper used today."

I have a full 10 minute delay before the compressor will kick on but I trigger at plus or minus 2° F. Whenever possible I sense from a thermowell but if I'm just chilling kegs I tape the temperature probe to the side of one.

Keep your compressor compartment, and any exterior coils clean. Brush and Vacuum them as needed. This greatly helps with efficiency. Make sure that you bypass the factory thermostat and you're only running on your controller. You should not need a compressor delay. If the chest/box has adequate insulation it should not be short cycling. With a 2 degree differential in the temperature setting it should be an hour or longer before there is a call for cooling. One last suggestion, if possible make sure you're freezer is in a conditioned space that is not prone to high external temps. or a space with high humidity.

I definitely should clean the compressor compartment. Hardly any exterior coils that I'm aware of. Adequate insulation on typical freezers these days is non-existent from my perspective. I'd love to add some, but with the coils in the walls, that's not so easy. I do keep a blanket on the lid

My last keezer lasted only 5 years, the compressor locked up. Operated at basement temperatures with an Inkbird set for 10 min restart time.

A Pipefitter in the beer club who services industrial HVAC equipment told me that freezer compressors run louder when operating at temperatures above freezing. Based on initial start up of a freezer unit when it was at room temperatures.

Not sure if this affects the life span of my last keezer but running at 36 deg for something designed to run at -10 deg makes me wonder..

I went to clean the compressor compartment. The compressor was running, which is the norm now, and was too hot to touch for more than a split second. I pulled the plug on it. RIP.

I have 12VDC fan blowing continuously, pulled from a computer. Just found a 12VDC wall wort which I keep from all sorts of stuff in a bin. Cut, solder, tape. Done.

I dropped my probe into a pint mug full of water. I top it off seemingly around once a year or so. Stops the temp swings completely. Temperature is set to around 2-3C. Not sure what that is in F... Fahrenheit ... why people? Why? They make no sense....

I have 12VDC fan blowing continuously, pulled from a computer. Just found a 12VDC wall wort which I keep from all sorts of stuff in a bin. Cut, solder, tape. Done.

I dropped my probe into a pint mug full of water. I top it off seemingly around once a year or so. Stops the temp swings completely. Temperature is set to around 2-3C. Not sure what that is in F... Fahrenheit ... why people? Why? They make no sense....
35.6°F to 37.4°F lol ;)

All great advice: cleaning and temp controller settings but the sad truth (as already stated) is it's a crap shoot buying an appliance these days. Even using a chest freezer for food is no guarantee it will last. I got stung buying a new chest freezer and remodeling it for kegs. It lasted about two years then I remodeled it again with an upright mini freezer strapped to the side, recirculating cold air from it into the dead chest freezer. That worked really good and now I'm going to build a proper "insulated box" the size I need for my kegs on tap.

If one wants a long lasting appliance to be dedicated to serving beer my suggestion would be to find the oldest working refrigerator or freezer one can find. Refrigeration appliances from the 40s, 50s and 60s were built like tanks and have none of the extra, added attractions of more modern units. Old fridges are binary; they’re either off or on. There are no fans, no heat/defrost cycles to make them frost free, nothing to fail but the compressor itself and those seem to be nearly bulletproof.

My ferm fridge is a 1949 Hotpoint. I’ve owned it for almost 25 years and it keeps chugging along. My kegerator is a 1963 GE that my parents bought, used, for $25 sometime in the late 70s. They kept it in their basement as a backup fridge. When we cleaned out their house after they moved into senior housing I brought it to the farm and used it as a backup for a few years before converting it to a kegerator 8 or 9 years ago. That one does have a fan to push air through the condenser. Blowing out the condenser and defrosting the freezer once a year is all the maintenance that unit seems to need.

Old fridges and freezers are usually very cheap, often free. If the “newer is better” crowd is worried about reliability they can pick up a couple at a time if space to store the backup is available. :cool:

If one wants a long lasting appliance to be dedicated to serving beer my suggestion would be to find the oldest working refrigerator or freezer one can find. Refrigeration appliances from the 40s, 50s and 60s were built like tanks and have none of the extra, added attractions of more modern units. Old fridges are binary; they’re either off or on. There are no fans, no heat/defrost cycles to make them frost free, nothing to fail but the compressor itself and those seem to be nearly bulletproof.

My ferm fridge is a 1949 Hotpoint. I’ve owned it for almost 25 years and it keeps chugging along. My kegerator is a 1963 GE that my parents bought, used, for $25 sometime in the late 70s. They kept it in their basement as a backup fridge. When we cleaned out their house after they moved into senior housing I brought it to the farm and used it as a backup for a few years before converting it to a kegerator 8 or 9 years ago. That one does have a fan to push air through the condenser. Blowing out the condenser and defrosting the freezer once a year is all the maintenance that unit seems to need.

Old fridges and freezers are usually very cheap, often free. If the “newer is better” crowd is worried about reliability they can pick up a couple at a time if space to store the backup is available. :cool:
Absolutely! And those relics from the past have a really cool look to them.

All great advice: cleaning and temp controller settings but the sad truth (as already stated) is it's a crap shoot buying an appliance these days. Even using a chest freezer for food is no guarantee it will last. I got stung buying a new chest freezer and remodeling it for kegs. It lasted about two years then I remodeled it again with an upright mini freezer strapped to the side, recirculating cold air from it into the dead chest freezer. That worked really good and now I'm going to build a proper "insulated box" the size I need for my kegs on tap.
I've thought about piggybacking on another working unit with an insulated box, but never followed through. How are you tapping into the mini freezer?

Regarding the older appliances, I agree totally. I remember my grandma's garage fridge back in the 90's was an old one with styling from what must have been the 50's. Looked cool and always worked. I just picked up another modern GE 7 cu.ft freezer off of craigslist and was surprised how incredibly light it was; rediculously so. Not much to them anymore. Sad.

I haven't seen any really old appliances in a long time, for sale or otherwise....

I've thought about piggybacking on another working unit with an insulated box, but never followed through. How are you tapping into the mini freezer?

Regarding the older appliances, I agree totally. I remember my grandma's garage fridge back in the 90's was an old one with styling from what must have been the 50's. Looked cool and always worked. I just picked up another modern GE 7 cu.ft freezer off of craigslist and was surprised how incredibly light it was; rediculously so. Not much to them anymore. Sad.

I haven't seen any really old appliances in a long time, for sale or otherwise....
The upright freezer (door removed) will be sandwiched to the insulated box on one end. I haven't decided yet if I'll cut two four-inch holes in an insulated panel (inlet & outlet) or just keep it open. Either way I'll have a temp controlled fan to circulate the cold air. With my old version I had the two 4" holes cut into a piece on insulation sandwiched between the working freezer and the dead one. One hole had a 4"inch fan pulling cold air from the freezer. That worked really well so I might just duplicate that.

Those vintage units are hard to find but do turnup on Craig's List. If I had the room and a more understanding wife, I'd buy a few. They make nice looking storage units if nothing else. I have a 1940's Westinghouse fridge that my parents bought used when they first got married. It still works but I use it for storage. Corny kegs won't fit in it but I could use it for loose can/bottles or other brewing items.

Latest posts

Back