shop vac = great

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadWolfBrewing

Reaction score
I picked up a cheapo Lowe's bucket-style shop vac, after seeing a few others try shop vacs in their breweries. It is something like $20

I have a 20g stout tanks MLT, and it is a pain to get in there to scoop out spent grain. The shop vac did it in minutes, barely any grain left at all. Even picked the false bottom clean. That made life easier. I did have to empty the bucket out once, but thats alright.

Then, I kept it by my side for the rest of the cleaning. Getting liquid out of ports, valves, HERMS coil, the residual I couldn't pour from the kettles, various spillages, etc... the thing worked like a champ. I'll be changing from no-chill to a CFC in the future, perhaps, and I think the vac might be the best way to clean it out too.

If you don't have one, I recommend you give it a shot. I got the extended warranty (few bucks more), just in case the brewery burned it out.

One of the best pieces of equipment I've added over the years.

Cheers

Clean it out really well to prevent things from getting sticky and moldy.

I suspect it's going to be impossible to keep a shop vac motor housing from becoming fairly aromatic (and not in a good way) from condensing vapor, but it will be interesting to read whether it's been banished to the Great Outdoors within a few weeks...

Cheers!

I did my best to clean it well... we will see what the wife says. That's why I ended up getting a bucket vac instead of a traditional shop vac. I think the head is a little easier to clean.

I hope it works out, it made cleaning a crap ton easier.

Yeah I brewed with a guy that had a little vac and he says it's a huge time saver. I think it will work fine for the most part. Life may not be as long, but that's not the end of the world.

I keep my vac in the garage. I've used it for some messy brewing operations. Just make sure to clean it out right away or you might end up with this, a sweet pellicle:

2012-12-15-at-112949-57651.jpg

2012-12-15-at-113000-57649.jpg

Back