Shipping Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerChemistWhiskey

Self-described Scientist
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So today I went to ship a few bombers of homebrew to a couple of friends out of town.

I spent some time researching how to do this, most sources saying just pack them really well and then claim "yeast samples" or something of the sort if they ask what's in the box. I understand that this is illegal to do at USPS but only against policy at UPS/FedEx.

Well I took my meticulously packed boxes to UPS and they told me that they would have to open every box and check what's inside! Of course, if you pay any attention to the news you can probably figure why. I can only assume every carrier is going to be doing this now because of this package bomber kid in Texas.

So how am I going to share homebrew with my friends out of town? Pack it in soda bottles and tell them it's homemade root beer? Or try to convince them that there's just soda in my glass bottles? How will this affect people that mail to competitions?

I've shipped beer through FedEx with no issue, just individually bubble wrap them good and pack them tight. When they ask what it contains dont say yeast sample. I told them glassware so they would put a fragile sticker on the box.

Create an account with UPS or FedEx (i have both)

That way you can pay and print your label at home. I have never had then ask me about the contents when I walk in with the package ready to go. They just scan it and give me a receipt.

I'm just north of Dallas and mailed my NHC entry to Austin on Thursday. I thought for sure they were going to ask about the package or check my ID but they did neither. Since I have the account they know my address, credit card etc. So maybe that is the reason for not asking.

Back