Shielding a Silicon Tri-Clamp Connection above a Jet Burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AuTrappiste

Reaction score
Hello all,

I picked up a 30 Gallon tank with a 1.5 inch Tri clamp curved port on the bottom of it. I wanted to use a jet burner to heat the kettle which generates significant heat.

Silicon gaskets are rated to 400 degrees continuous duty. I would run a tri-clamp connection with straight pipe out of the burner zone. The center clamp connection is my main concern for extreme heat.

Any ideas on how to heat shield the connection without welding up something?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Tankfitting.jpg

Direct heat from a jet (or regular) gas burner far exceeds 400F. Above 1200F perhaps?

I use slices of silicone tubing between my induction burner and cast iron wok. They get hard and brittle and start to break apart after a few uses.

You could try wrapping the fitting with a few layers of aluminum foil, crunching up the layers to provide air space in the wrapping. Perhaps that would keep it closer to kettle / wort temp rather than burner temp.

Wrap something with aluminum foil and try heating it with a propane torch, it's almost impossible :)

What do they use on the space shuttle for re entry, that should work j/k

Honestly this just seems like it's going to be WAY too hot for any kind of gasket. This vessel is clearly not designed to be direct-fired.

You could use the vessel with a RIMS or HERMS setup if you want to provide a moderate amount of heat. But for a boil kettle you should find something else.

Post a link to the burner you're talking about. I would be looking at using a burner where you can defeat some tips to keep direct flame off that pipe. Even then I'd be looking to put some kind of u-shaped sheet metal over it to keep the contents from boiling.

I would try making a copper gasket for it.

McMaster also has seals rated to 550.

If there is going to be liquid in that pipe when the burner is on i doubt you could get it much above boiling.

What are your plans for this. BK, MLT, BIAB?

A jet burner heats rather locally, with the large area on the bottom of that kettle you may be able to keep the fitting out of the direct flame. I like my simple aluminum foil idea, but if you want a more sophisticated fix you could do a few things with silver solder such as closing that port and adding another, or perhaps silver soldering the tri clover in lieu of a silicon gasket...

Or better yet scrap the burner and use an electric Hot Rod
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/hotrod.htm

Back