Shelf life of DME/LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangulum33

Whenever it feels right!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm aware of the perishable nature of LME, but how long is too long? What about DME?
My LBS guy told me that they have used real old LME before - old enough that they scraped a crust off the top before they used it - and the beer was fine.

IMHO LME will only keep for a few months unless it's refrigerated. Even if it is, I'd probably throw it away after 6 months. Or else make a kitchen sink beer out of it (to get rid of all my old hops, extracts, etc.)

Ive used LME a few (3) months old before - I just stored it in a sealed container in the fridge. DME the same I have used some up to 3 months old - just keep it sealed well in a dry place.

I'm aware of the perishable nature of LME, but how long is too long? What about DME?
My LBS guy told me that they have used real old LME before - old enough that they scraped a crust off the top before they used it - and the beer was fine.

If it's sealed in a can, it takes a long time. I've used cans that were
4 years old with no problem. The only thing that can happen when it's
sealed is that it's possible to get some slight darkening. The only way
you could notice the difference is if you were making some light beer
with 10 IBU, if at all. Many brewers like to blame the extract whenever
they have a problem, that's how all the negative myths about extract
got started.

DME depends on how it's sealed and the humidity level. How long
will granulated sugar last when it's left out? Put it this way, I've used
DME sealed in a ziploc for over a year with no problem.

Ray

Back