Shed/shop/brewery project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowirenut

Reaction score
Was not sure where to put this so...here is is.

My Shed/Shop/Brewery came last week! I will be updating pics and descriptions as the project moves along.
It is 12' (measuring eve to eve) x 32'

KIMG0265_zpstxfwgfcg.jpg

Unloading off the truck

KIMG0266_zpsoqvt2ahb.jpg

Mule hooked up and doing its work

KIMG0267_zpspns1otod.jpg

Getting the tiny shed into position

35d6984f-1302-49c1-9256-92fccd48e689_zpsaqwmq1va.jpg

Its final resting place.

KIMG0270_zpszxwr6esn.jpg

The shed side. They wanted $200 for a steep 8' ramp. Built my own 10' for far less.

KIMG0268_zpsteawdpea.jpg

Inside the garage door.

6.5k ish
When calculating the time away from family it would have taken for me to build it myself was well worth it.

I'd look up some DIY how-tos and feel ambitious. Start working on it and run into a few snags, get frustrated. Keep working on it while pissed off and supremely **** it up, then wind up paying someone to do it for me.

The American Way™

I'm going to go ahead and start disliking you now. That way, as you keep posting pictures as the build comes together, it can bloom into full jealous rage.
I hope you don't mind. ;)

Awesome project! How will you utilize the loft?

The loft is just normal storage. Christmas, outdoor summer and yard tools. Our home was build in 57' by an odd architect. The garage has cathedral ceilings so no storage.

Awesome project! How will you utilize the loft?

The loft is just normal storage. Christmas, outdoor summer and yard tools. Our home was build in 57' by an odd architect. The garage has cathedral ceilings so no storage.

Update - over the weekend Dad came down to check out the building. He also helped with the project.

20151111_164034_zps5zsghzhe.jpg

Installed an attic ladder (height is about a foot shorter than recommended)

20151111_172340_zpst4piw6jr.jpg

added steps

20151111_163946_zps80gitbdl.jpg

Added the main dividing wall between the shop and shed.

20151111_172231_zpskdvqeo0i.jpg

Other side of the wall.

I think I can safely say there is NOTHING HBT likes better than a good build thread. Thank you!

Q: How did you prepare the ground underneath? Looks like you've got some quarter-stone down.

That is awesome. Do you have any plans or perhaps some detailed photos on how you did the steps? I need to do that asap and my only thought was to put 4x4 posts in the ground, like for a deck, then attach the steps. My ground is grass/mud right now. I didn't intend to put a slab down, but I can.

Sorry for the random off topic ramble. :)

That is awesome. Do you have any plans or perhaps some detailed photos on how you did the steps? I need to do that asap and my only thought was to put 4x4 posts in the ground, like for a deck, then attach the steps. My ground is grass/mud right now. I didn't intend to put a slab down, but I can.

Sorry for the random off topic ramble. :)

well I asked my father if he knew how to figure step angles. his reply was that Lowe's sells them pre made.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_4644-432-4STEPT140N___?productId=3185193&pl=1&Ntt=deck+stairs
099796611408sm.jpg

we cut them in two as that saved us a few $ per set

hung them with these
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
081942100614sm.jpg

the bottom that you can not see int he pics are setting on concrete paving stoves to keep them from sinking in the mud.

For steps, the formula which I was taught is "run + rise = 18 inches"
Seven inches is about the highest "comfortable" rise (though many economy stairs are 9").
If you use a seven inch rise then the run (width) of the tread would be 11 inches.

In practice I take the total rise (ground level to threshold and divide that by my preferred rise per tread, subtract one and that would give you the number of treads. I then divide the total rise by number of treads to get the calculated actual rise per tread. This keeps the rise consistent for all risers and decreases stumbling over "that last step" that everyone warns you about.

Of course you then subtract the calculated rise per tread from 18 and this gives you the run (width) of each tread. If you multiply that by the number of treads you get the total run of the stairs.

Sounds a little complicated but really is worth it in ease of use. If you go with precut units from the hardware store you will almost surely run into an odd ball rise from the top step to the floor, which gives you that last step that must be watched.

I like my risers to be closer to 4" if I have enough room for that much run. This is just the way I learned to do it from an old carpenter years ago. If it does not work for you we cannot complain to him as he is long gone by now.

well I asked my father if he knew how to figure step angles. his reply was that Lowe's sells them pre made.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_4644-432-4STEPT140N___?productId=3185193&pl=1&Ntt=deck+stairs
099796611408sm.jpg

we cut them in two as that saved us a few $ per set

hung them with these
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
081942100614sm.jpg

the bottom that you can not see int he pics are setting on concrete paving stoves to keep them from sinking in the mud.
This is wonderful. The paving stones didn't cross my mind because currently I have 4"x4" stones there to make a "landing" and they sink when we have all the rain we've had in Western NC. That being said, the larger stones set properly would work well. I also saw the pre-made steps, but thought to buy two and cut them. One would indeed work for me as well. Great ideas and thank you so much! I may just tackle this in the next few days.

Can't wait to see more of your shed!

UPDATE! not a damn thing has happen except a few shelves. I did buy a new drill press and immediately got into trouble because I was supposed to be saving up for interior doors. yes I did get her her doors.
20160216_163340_zpslwcacifh.jpg

UPDATE! not a damn thing has happen except a few shelves.
Thanks for the update! I laughed out loud at that.
Kinda mimics what happens to me. Have all these things I'd like to do then life gets in the way. Hope you're able to make more progress by the next update.

Have gone threw most of my moving boxes and thrown a bunch of junk I was hording away. I have built a sturdy workbench and am saving up for a nice table saw. The shop is starting to get hot, time to think about sum AC. My next project is to run power to the building. Wire a breaker panel and plugs. The fermentation chamber and kegerator wont run on squirrel power.

20160524_184052_zpsibrfkc4u.jpg

That is some sweet looking workshop shed. I need a cabinet like that in my brew studio. Lots of brew tools kept on shelves and the top of ferm fridge.

You gotta figure out if that s a workshop or a brewery though, dude.

Latest posts

Back