Shark Frenzy Mash Paddle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhwrecker

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

Still in the middle of my basement electric brewery build, but I took a break from polishing kegs and wiring the control panel to make a mash paddle. Thought I'd pick a theme to reflect my love of diving. Cutting out a shipwreck sitting on the bottom with a skeleton at the helm was my first choice, but I settled on a more mundane theme of a Shark Feeding Frenzy.

picture.php

picture.php

All the inside edges are sanded down and rounded over, so hopefully it will be of some use mixing up the mash. If not, maybe I'll just hang it over the keggles.

Thanks for all the inspiration from all the other DIY "paddlers" out there.

What tool(s) did you use to cut them out so perfectly?

Hi. I got the shapes from various free pics on line, and scaled them to the sizes I wanted with a copying machine, and then copied the outlines onto the wood. I simply drilled a bunch of holes (couple of different sizes) at most of the junctions, then connected the dots with a sabre/jig saw for most of it. For the smaller fins, I used a cutting bit on a dremel (kinda like a drill bit), but those are kinda tricky, as they want to keep eating wood.
picture.php

I used a few different fittings on the dremel to sand as much as I could, and then hand sanded the rest. Not sure if I'm supposed to rub it down with an oil - mineral, or walnut, or if I should just let the mash age it.

Any thoughts on the finish before it's used would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

I just started the grown up life, trying to build up my tool repertoire. Good job on the cut outs

If it's maple which it seems to be, just let the mash age it.
I made one a while back and researched the same thing... Came to the conclusion that I don't really want to add any oils or finishes to my mash. It stands up perfectly fine without any finish also!

Back