Sharing Your Pairing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree the dessert. The desserts seem to be on the lighter side and a big ass stout might overpower them.

That is what I was about to say. If I was to pick a beer to go with those I would choose something light and slightly tart like Orval or Sanctification. Otherwise I could see a flanders red going well.

Da **** is a tangelo? Some hippie science fruit that will turn my brain to mush and give me autism? Give me some grapes, wonderful human being.

Tangelos are the best. They're the result of a cross pollination between a mandarin and a grapefruit. They are super easy to peel because they have this little nobby thing and they are far more delicious than either of the parent fruits.

That is what I was about to say. If I was to pick a beer to go with those I would choose something light and slightly tart like Orval or Sanctification. Otherwise I could see a flanders red going well.
Hmm, I do have a 2-year-old Orval I could bring...

I've posted about poached eggs in the food pr0n thread, but I made two perfect ones for breakfast and just had to enter them here. This is right after poaching, placed on top of two halves of a sandwich thin:

Nothing special or tricky done, just poached in lightly salted water, that we heated to just below boiling then removed from the heat, for about 4 minutes. My "trick", if there is any, is to roll the egg out of a bowl into the water, actually letting the water get into the bowl and guide the egg out. This seems to keep everything nicely together.

Next step is to top the eggs with pineapple habanero salsa and shredded cheese, and broil for a few minutes until the cheese is nicely melted and starting to brown:

The obvious pairing, given that this was breakfast, would have been a Breakfast Stout or a Terrapin Wake-N-Bake, but I had neither already chilled in the fridge so I opted for a Highland Black Mocha stout, which filled in nicely.

need to learn how to poach eggs like dis. i would make eggs benedict much more often if i was able.

he is just a little confused as he is used to them looking like button mushrooms
Apply_cold_water_to_burned_area.jpeg

Okay, so that dinner was awesome. Here are the dishes/beers and my thoughts on them. I didn't take notes so this is all from memory, I definitely missed the descriptions on some of the off-menu dishes, sorry about that.

As I said before my goal was to only bring 6 beers (should have done 5) and have something that would pair well/decently with every dish. This is hard when you don't actually know what half the dishes will be! But I went with:

Growler of 1500 (local pale ale)
2012 3F Geuze
Saison Bernice B6
2012 Westvleteren 12
BCBS '13
2012 3F Kriek

I should have left the BCBS at home because, as we discussed yesterday, pairing with desserts is hard, and with all the food the extra 15% beer was just too much. I was a bit hung over this morning, I think about 50-50 due to salt/richness and alcohol.

Anyway, here we go.

Snack: Whipped scrambled eggs with bacon-maple hot sauce
WuDBxVb.jpg

They apparently do this dish every time with some variation on the sauce, and it's superb. Paired with 1500, worked well together, though not amazingly. Doubt geuze would've been better.

Snack: Blueberries with pork fat, mushrooms, pine needle shoots, and pine-infused olive oil
kPF9Mec.jpg

The chef said this would taste like hops. Worked well with 1500. I didn't love this dish but it was solid.

Snack: Abalone liver puree on squid ink cracker with cavier
NVxYXlk.jpg

Paired with 2012 3F Geuze. Hard to tell how well it worked with such a small serving. Apparently abalone liver is really prized, and while this was very tasty it's difficult for me to know if the delicasy status of the liver is warranted.

Snack: Abalone broth
ldeXGtf.jpg

Paired with the geuze and with 1500, each worked okay but I think the temperature difference of the liquids messed with me. The broth was delicious, I love those fishy, umami-filled broths.

Snack: Molasses bread with butter and whey
aOZc990.jpg

Again paired with both the geuze and with 1500, I think both worked about as well, for different reasons. Since the dish is basically all fat you just want something to cut it without introducing a ton of strong flavors on its own, both gueuze and pale ale will accomplish that.

Entree: Sweet peas, buttermilk custard, deviled egg, lomo
X8vUt4V.jpg

(Sorry for the shitty picture, I didn't realize it was bad until it was too late.) Paired with Saison Bernice. I think Bernice was just a bit too aggressive for this dish, everything about the food was mild, and this batch of Bernice is anything but mild. 1500 might have worked better but I had drank it all.

Entree: Morels fondue, asparagus, crawfish, brown butter
W58gqAd.jpg

Paired with the Saison Bernice. This was my favorite dish of the night, and the pairing worked great. The lightness and acidity of the beer went wonderfully with the richness of everything on the plate and nothing clashed.

Entree: King salmon, fava beans, avocado.
mMtk6rX.jpg

Paired with the Bernice again. This one was my least favorite dish (no knock against it, more "not my thing" than "poorly done"), but the pairing might have been the best of the night. The beer and the dish sang together, a flavor in each complementing one in the other, and nothing clashing.

Entree: Abalone "steak"
V9rWFh4.jpg

Bernice again. I hadn't had abalone before, it was interestingly flavorful but kind of tough. Pairing was fine and not remarkable, not sure what I would've done here that could be better.

Entree: "Korean lost in Georgia", pork belly confit, collard green kimchi, pickled peach, potlikker
uxskY27.jpg

Paired with Westy. The beer paired amazingly with the pork belly, in what was probably the best individual-component pairing of the night, but went relatively poorly with the rest of the dish, I think because there was a lot of acidity in everything (which I wasn't expecting). Fortunately the pork flavors last a lot longer on the palate than the others, so it wasn't much of a problem.

Entree: Rabbit confit, potato, tarragon, carrot, frisee
1jpYYnA.jpg

This was delicious, though salty, and went well with the westy, though the pork was better (I actually expected the opposite coming in).

Dessert: White Peach, violet, almond
d6VxvMD.jpg

Paired with BCBS and 3F Kriek. I wasn't expecting this to be an ice cream, so the BCBS didn't work so well. The Kriek was great though.

Dessert: Strawberry, pink pepper, creme fraiche, opal basil
7SI4RPH.jpg

This was what I was expecting, so the BCBS worked pretty well. Kriek did too.

Treats: Sou vide chocolate chip cookies, s'more, macaroon with rhubarb, gelee with balsamic vinegar, fancy jelly donut.
5NCzIsW.jpg

Given the portion sizes it was hard to really tell what worked here, and given how full I was at this point I gave up a little bit with the pairings...

This is perfect (IMO) for a Saison or farmhouse ale, but would work well with Gueze/Lambic/Wilds as well. It is also a great dish as a side salad when you get sick of greens. Simple Radish Salad.

2 Bunches of radishes thinly sliced.
Dressed with:
2 tbsp mayonnaise emulsified w/ 2 Tbsp of olive oil.
Whisk in juice of one lemon, a tbsp of parsley & a tsp of fresh thyme.
Season w/ salt & pepper (the radishes can handle a lot of black pepper).

Refrigerate minimum 15 min & serve.

mQN0bPt.jpg

This is perfect (IMO) for a Saison or farmhouse ale, but would work well with Gueze/Lambic/Wilds as well. It is also a great dish as a side salad when you get sick of greens. Simple Radish Salad.

Dressed with:

mQN0bPt.jpg

I love radishes and this sounds pretty dank. Will be making this. Thanks.

Dressed with:

mQN0bPt.jpg

The Radish, very underrated! I am gonna make this and wear my new shirt
i_love_radishs_tee_shirts-rb6e21c31fde148869263b90a486e4fbc_8nhma_324.jpg

(I don't actually have this shirt...but I want one)

I've become a fan of making home made 'coal fired' pizza using a charcoal grill. Pairs well with almost any beer imaginable. Pizza is the magical beer food as saisons are the magical food beer. Will post pictures next time this happens.

Shrimp étouffée
Pre cook about 2 lbs of shrimp

In a Dutch ovencook 4 slices of diced bacon on Med High for 3 min- it should render some fat.

Add a stick of butter, a diced onion, 3 minced garlic cloves, a diced pepper, a diced tomato & two chopped celery ribs. Cook for 7 min. Stir often. If it starts sticking to the bottom, keep some white wine handy.

Add 1.5 tsp of fresh thyme, 2 bay leaves, salt & pepper, 1 tsp paprika & 1/2 tsp cayenne. Cook 1 minute- stir in 1/4 cup of flour- cook 2 minutes. Add 2 1/2 cups of chicken or fish stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium & cook 12 min.

Add shrimp, cook until hot. Stir in 1/3 cup heavy cream, 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 3 tbsp of your hot sauce of choice & 1/3 cup of minced parsley.

Serve over rice & pair w/ a hoppy IPA.
uXCDOO4.jpg

Shrimp étouffée
Pre cook about 2 lbs of shrimp

In a Dutch ovencook 4 slices of diced bacon on Med High for 3 min- it should render some fat.

Add a stick of butter, a diced onion, 3 minced garlic cloves, a diced pepper, a diced tomato & two chopped celery ribs. Cook for 7 min. Stir often. If it starts sticking to the bottom, keep some white wine handy.

Add 1.5 tsp of fresh thyme, 2 bay leaves, salt & pepper, 1 tsp paprika & 1/2 tsp cayenne. Cook 1 minute- stir in 1/4 cup of flour- cook 2 minutes. Add 2 1/2 cups of chicken or fish stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium & cook 12 min.

Add shrimp, cook until hot. Stir in 1/3 cup heavy cream, 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 3 tbsp of your hot sauce of choice & 1/3 cup of minced parsley.

Serve over rice & pair w/ a hoppy IPA.
uXCDOO4.jpg
That was fit for a "share your recipe thread" but you redeemed yourself with the last 5 words.

Dinner from this past Friday (May 23rd).
luxdinner_zps4ef7bd0d.jpg

Ninkasi's Lux (Munich Helles Lager) with a strip of grilled flank steak, side salad and Mexican bean salsa.

Saturday night's dinner (May 24th).

lilsumpindinner_zpsd98278fe.jpg

Lagunita's Lil' Sumpin' Sumpin' with grilled chicken. Side of carrots, white rice, steamed snow peas and some broccoli.

Pork & Kale soup w/rice noodles. Lots of spices in the pork, so I paired with the Flying Dog Dead Rise Old Bay Summer Ale. Any spiced beer would do well, including Gose. Will post recipe in food pron thread.
u7RT46m.jpg
...Does that beer actually have Old Bay in it?

Braised Chicken w/apples & Calvados

Lots of flavors in this dish, esp the pan sauce. Decided to go rustic w/ the beer. Wanted a dark ale w/some yeast alongside the roast. Didn't want richness, so I went with Stillwater Brontide. Prairie Funky Galaxy or something like Black Albert would do as well. Will post recipe in food pron.
aVlrZhB.jpg

Made Chili Verde w/pork & hominy. This has a load of tomatillos in it, along with the rich chunks of pork. I wanted hoppy, but no sweet malt. Went with Bale Breaker Field 41 APA. Hops accented the combo of chile/tomatillo/lime/cilantro perfectly. Recipe cross posted in Food Pron.
SasRRIc.jpg

But, that isn't a Mamouche :confused:

*clears thought* what I meant to say was it goes great with Grand Cru Brouscella

"Its subtle taste enhances the savour of stewed dishes, underlines discreetly the taste of fish and crustaceans and constitutes a strong support for the taste of fine meat. Combined with sauerkraut, it tastes to full advantage."

but I think Michigan brought up an excellent point about the Mamouche, and the pickle is the crucial link

ABCSummeralelunch_zps0324ebed.jpg

No glass, straight from the bottle - ABC Summer Ale
On the plate - Teriyaki Ginger burger (shredded ginger inside the beef patty with a piece of grilled pineapple on top and then fresh spinach) and a side of grilled red skin potatoes.

Back