Shank question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thyirishmen

Reaction score
What size hole do I drill for the shank to go through the board on the Keezer? Would a 3 inch length be ok going through a 2x4? Also what faucets ate popular. This my first time adding them to my Johnson's temp controller controled freezer

Cant remember the exact size hole, but a 2x4 is 1.5" thick so 3" should be plenty. As for faucets, Perlick makes the rear sealing ones that don't stick. I love them and I'm sure everyone else here that's bought them to replace their sticky cheap faucets will agree. If you can afford the extra cost, definitely go with the Perlicks. 525SS is the older model (of the silver, they have gold also if you're into that kinda thing), 575SS are the newer ones. Basically the same faucets, just a slightly different look.

While most of us are more than willing to share where we got a great deal, I've seen very little discussion of shanks and shank pricing here - Best bet is probably Google...(I bought mine 10 years ago, so I have no memory of my deal)

Perlicks are well worth the extra few bucks. I have the older 425 model faucets and love them. They're the ones with the removable spout. The newer 525 "perl" model has fewer internal parts. Both are forward sealing designs and will not stick like generic faucets do.

Standard shanks fit a 7/8" diameter hole. Your 3" bit should be plenty to get through a 2x4. Williamsbrewing.com has a good deal on Perlick faucets including 4" shank, flanges, and barbed tailpiece.
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/PERLICK-FORWARD-SEAL-FAUCET-WITH-SHANK-P1476C65.aspx

Does anyone know if Beverage factory offers discount to us on HBT?

And if I'm not mistaken....to the OP, the 575ss has a "push backwards" option for making a creamier/ more foam option that the 525 does not.

That's the best I've found too. Not looking forward to dropping 2 benjamins on faucets.

I just bought 4 of these for my keezer. For the shanks, don't forget about extra length to get through any insulation!

Back