Shandy Questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackQueenBrews

Reaction score
Greeting fellow home brewers!

I have a decent 2.5 gallon Shandy recipe I’m trying this weekend but, I’m not too thrilled about adding lemonade mix to the recipe.

Technically, I’d like to try and develop a Cherry Lime Shandy and want to know can I use the natural flavoring liquid extracts (like the ones from Brewers Best) to get the flavor I’m looking for it should I stick with flavoring packets?

I think this combo will be really refreshing to share with friends over the summer so any tips/tricks shared will be greatly appreciated...especially recipes for Shandys anyone has used in their homebrewing as well!

Cheers and Thanks!

can I use the natural flavoring liquid extracts (like the ones from Brewers Best) to get the flavor I’m looking for
Yes, absolutely. Flavoring is great.

You could also make a real shandy...
Juice half a lemon, add to shaker.
Add a spoonful of sugar, as desired.
Swirl for a few seconds.
Add ice and about 8 oz water. Shake to fully dissolve and chill.
Strain into a glass, filling about half way.
Add the beer of your choice.

:mug:

Yes, absolutely. Flavoring is great.

You could also make a real shandy...
Juice half a lemon, add to shaker.
Add a spoonful of sugar, as desired.
Swirl for a few seconds.
Add ice and about 8 oz water. Shake to fully dissolve and chill.
Strain into a glass, filling about half way.
Add the beer of your choice.

:mug:

This sounds tastey^^^^^^

Cherry lime sounds great too. I like cherry limeades from sonic .

Cherry lime sounds great too. I like cherry limeades from sonic .
You could make a cherry lime shandy.
Same instructions as above except use half a lime (yes, half. They are potent) instead of half a lemon, and add about 1 Tbsp of grenadine or cherry juice instead of the sugar

Would not know what a shandy was if I had not spent some time down under. A refreshing drink to be sure. Was usually a 4X or a VB with lemonade where I was at the time.

Some families served them to their kids.

Any pale beer would be good in my opinion. Blonde, wheat, Kolsch, helles lager, maybe american pale ale, etc.

50/50 base malt and white wheat malt with a neutral yeast and light hop rate is a good starting point.

Back