Shake carbonation method at 12 psi?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pez

Reaction score
I've read a lot about homebrewers shaking a keg to carbonate at 30 psi, but risking overcarbonation.

Why not just shake the keg at 12 psi (and 38ish degrees). It might take a bit longer, but much less risk of overcarbonating, no?

Anybody tried this method?

Sure, it's just slower. I would rather jack the pressure and leave the keg to sit for some time than to shake the keg though. You may have issues with head retention if you shake the beer too much.

My regulator stays at 12psi and kegerator stays at 38 degrees and these settings never move. I have 2 faucets but a gas manifold so I can put gas to 4 kegs and the fridge space to hold them. When I hook up a new keg I purge it first then with gas line attached I hold it horizontal with gas in quick connect down so I can hear bubbles coming into the keg and I shake the hell out of it about 4 times. I then stand it up and leave it in the fridge. Next day I will shake it again and then again on the third day for the last time. At this point it is at least half carbed and drinkable. With this shaking the first few days it is usually fully carbed after a week at that pressure and temperature but I'm never in that much hurry to get a beer on tap and feel like most of them taste better after a few weeks conditioning/lagering in the kegerator.

What works for me is to apply 25 psi at room temp, and shake the keg every half hr or so until I can't hear any more gas flowing. I'll leave it at that pressure over night, then drop to 12 psi and refrigerate.

Sure, it's just slower. I would rather jack the pressure and leave the keg to sit for some time than to shake the keg though. You may have issues with head retention if you shake the beer too much.

Thanks Bobby. Love all my BrewHardware purchases and the vast selection of hardware.

My regulator stays at 12psi and kegerator stays at 38 degrees and these settings never move. I have 2 faucets but a gas manifold so I can put gas to 4 kegs and the fridge space to hold them. When I hook up a new keg I purge it first then with gas line attached I hold it horizontal with gas in quick connect down so I can hear bubbles coming into the keg and I shake the hell out of it about 4 times. I then stand it up and leave it in the fridge. Next day I will shake it again and then again on the third day for the last time. At this point it is at least half carbed and drinkable. With this shaking the first few days it is usually fully carbed after a week at that pressure and temperature but I'm never in that much hurry to get a beer on tap and feel like most of them taste better after a few weeks conditioning/lagering in the kegerator.

I agree that most beers are better with the extra time conditioning. The beers I was quick-carbonating had both been cold crashed for over a week so that was not a concern.

I've read a lot about homebrewers shaking a keg to carbonate at 30 psi, but risking overcarbonation.

Why not just shake the keg at 12 psi (and 38ish degrees). It might take a bit longer, but much less risk of overcarbonating, no?

Anybody tried this method?

it will take 3 times as long to carb up as shaking at 36 psi.
Since the shaking is aimed at speeding up the carbonation, and the big uncertainty is how much more contact area you are actually creating and for how long, while shaking, I don't see much advantage of shaking at 12 psi vs. just leaving it alone for ~24 hours at 36 psi and then dialing back to 12 psi.

Shaking at high pressure for a few minutes accelerates CO2 adsorption so you can serve a semi-carbonated beer within perhaps a few hours, or better yet a day or so, if you guess it right. Or you could over-carb it. You are trying to aim at something like "75% of CO2 from shaking, then 25% from slow carbonation over the next few days". Sometimes you overshoot or undershoot, and end up with overcarbed beer or beer that takes longer to carb.

Shaking at low pressure doesn't quite get you there right away, but still has uncertainty associated with shaking. Plus the strain on your back. So it's more like "25% from shaking and then 75% over long term".

Burst-Carbing gives you all the control you need and will get there in a day or two. It's similar to the shaking part, except burst takes place of shaking and is much better controlled. So first 24 hour or so gives you 75% and then 25% from slow carbonation at serving pressure. It gets you to your CO2 pressure in much more reliable way with only a small delay in time compared to somewhat unreliable "shake at high pressure" method, and faster and more reliably than "shake at low pressure method".

Back