SG too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyfish

Reaction score
I've had an Imperial Pale Ale in primary for just over one week now. The OG was 1.054 and for the last few days the SG has been at 1.023. The kit did not include any SG numbers for me to work with, but I believe that this is too high of a number. I'm honestly not sure how to determine the alcohol content based on these numbers. I thought I knew the formula, but I keep coming up with 2-3%.

I plan on putting it to secondary today. Any input?

Thank you.

flyfish said:
I've had an Imperial Pale Ale in primary for just over one week now. The OG was 1.054 and for the last few days the SG has been at 1.023. The kit did not include any SG numbers for me to work with, but I believe that this is too high of a number. I'm honestly not sure how to determine the alcohol content based on these numbers. I thought I knew the formula, but I keep coming up with 2-3%.

I plan on putting it to secondary today. Any input?

Thank you.

http://leebrewery.com/beermath.htm

you have 4.06%

1.054-1.023 X 105 = Alcohol by weight X 1.25 = Alcohol by Volume

Well, the f.g. is high, that's true. But if you're moving it to secondary, that might rouse the yeast a bit and restart fermentation. There are a couple of formulas that may help:

To get ABV, (o.g.- f.g.) * .131 = ABV
So, current ABV is 4.06.

There is a formula for figuring attenuation, too, so see if you're at the yeast's probable attenuation.

%ApparentAttenuation = (1 - (FG - 1)/(OG - 1)) * 100

So, for example, if your OG was 1.054 and your FG was 1.023, then:

%ApparentAttenuation = (1 - (1.023 - 1)/(1.054 - 1)) * 100

= (1 - 0.023/0.054) * 100

= (1 - 0.43) * 100

= (0.57) * 100

= 57% apparent attenuation

Ok, so if you plug your numbers into that formula, it looks like you're 57% attenuated. So, not finished. Your yeast has a "range" that you can expect, so if you're in that area, fermentation would probably be finished. (check the math- I'm mathematically challenged)

Lorena

Back