SG or Balling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirdGen

Reaction score
Which measurement do you use for calculating your %ABV? I just checked my brew 7 days into Primary and got 1.014 S.G. and 3.0 Plato. Calculating using both, I get slightly different answers:

(1.042-1.014) x (131)= 3.7% ABV

(10.5-3.0) x (0.42)= 3.15 (x1.25) = 3.9% ABV

0.2% seems like a big deal to me coming from a biochemistry lab background, but is it something I should be worried about? Is one more trustworthy than the other?

Also, this beer should be ~5% ABV and I was only 0.002 off of my O.G. called for by the recipe, so should I not move to Secondary yet?

you use your SG readings to calculate ABV.

was the FG reading stable when you bottled? if not you bottled to soon.

Don't move it to secondary yet, or ever, depending on how long your recipie calls for (you'll be fine leaving it in the primary for 4-6 weeks). Also, I wouldn't worry about the 0.2% ABV difference, since in the end it won't make a noticeable change to the taste or mouthfeel to the beer.

I haven't bottled yet, it's only been in Primary for 7 days. I'm wondering if it's too soon to move to Secondary (the krausen is all gone, smooth surface, and smells wonderful!).

Don't move it to secondary yet, or ever, depending on how long your recipie calls for (you'll be fine leaving it in the primary for 4-6 weeks). Also, I wouldn't worry about the 0.2% ABV difference, since in the end it won't make a noticeable change to the taste or mouthfeel to the beer.

The recipe said 1-2 weeks primary, then 2-3 weeks secondary, then 1-2 weeks in bottle. I purchased a secondary vessel because I'd like the ability to not only clear the beer, but also dry hop IPA's.

The recipe said 1-2 weeks primary, then 2-3 weeks secondary, then 1-2 weeks in bottle. I purchased a secondary vessel because I'd like the ability to not only clear the beer, but also dry hop IPA's.

Now I got it. Clearing and dry hopping does necessitate a secondary, in my opinion. I'd still leave it in the primary for the remaining week, so the yeast have the ability to clean up after themselves, which will improve the flavor. Also, some of them will still flocculate (sp?) and your beer will be clearer at the end of secondary.

I think the discrepancy might lie in the conversion factors. The relationship between Plato/Balling and SG is non-linear for sugars other than sucrose.

°P = (-463.37) + (668.72 × SG) - (205.35 × SG2)

I think the discrepancy might lie in the conversion factors. The relationship between Plato/Balling and SG is non-linear for sugars other than sucrose.

°P = (-463.37) + (668.72 × SG) - (205.35 × SG2)

Thanks for this, I may be doing something wrong though since I'm getting a Plato value of 25.22 haha. Hmmm...

Latest posts

Back