Sewage in kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As an avid observer of this thread please understand that the vast majority of us are not out to troll, harass, or project any type of superiority over anyone else...well, most of us anyway. You have to understand that threads like this do not come up everyday and the pure joy that this topic is bringing the neighborhood is unparalleled. We're all so used to does this look infected, what hop should I use, what mill gap, blah, blah, blah. Then this poo kettle gem comes up and oh, my! Unfortunately, tone of voice and body language is lost in internet chat rooms so what comes across as dickish or rude may just be playful ribbing.

Don't know if it's been said yet, but welcome to the forum... stay a while, try the veal.

:mug:

Thank you! It makes sense.

That’s not my handle as I have tried to explain. I feel stuck in a big loop here. It seems like many of you enjoy the fake threads and maybe in your head are hoping this is fake and so every post becomes more of a mystery for you, but in my case I’m just like you, a guy who wants to brew and experiment. In most cases people come here maybe with some prior experience. I never dreamed of brewing , don’t have the finances for it, but I have inherited the setup so now I dive in. I admit I feel like a dish out of water here. To top it off the more I talk the more trouble I seem to create for myself here. I am not the type that has spent time on message boards. The only one I’ve ever used i remember was on prodigy many years ago, before the internet, at a buddy’s house who had money. That should tell you the type I am! Not tech savvy. Put a gun in my hand I will get you dinner but a keyboard gets me fouled up every time.

Fair enough I see ismellweird and wonder what else it could mean? I missed your explanation but regardless your experience and your description of it is Tragic and honestly sounds surreal I like I said I dont know how it even could realistically happen with brewing equipment myself.

Fair enough I see ismellweird and wonder what else it could mean? I missed your explanation but regardless your experience and your description of it is Tragic and honestly sounds surreal I like I said I dont know how it even could realistically happen with brewing equipment myself.

Really I only will rehash it one more time because you are asking regular and not condescending like many others. My handle is “is Mell weird” and it’s a long story I won’t retell here again. And as for the problem and the reason why I needed to start this thread... we were cleaning my kettle. Filled it with hot soapy water and my buddy rigged up a pump to move the water in or out as needed. My basement is under construction and many issues need attention one being a very improperly set up drain which on occasion has had issues with it backup up as I believe it lacks a proper valve to prevent back flow fully. My buddy stuck the pump in the broken drain and I believe I was in a state of septic back up and he reversed the pump so we pulled it from the drain into the pot instead of the other way. Again I am not even remotely claiming to understand plumbing or what is happening in my drain but I know the whole system is in disrepair and Pedro probably should NOT have been utilizing this. But in this area is where we brewed because I wouldn’t mind a mess from boil over etc so was the obvious place to drain. It is all clean now and I have moved on but clearly many have not. I don’t mind as it does stimulate debate on issues like sanitation but I must say I could do without the insults, but I’m sure some day I will realize maybe I am bringing on myself by not being as capable as you all in brewing knowledge as well as how to properly use these forums.

What kind of kettle? If you’re going to throw it out someone may well take it and do the cleaning themselves.

I'll take it ....always wanted to brew a "Smelly Stout"

Sorry, couldn't help it
:ban:

In all seriousness, theres nothing in that kettle that soap, water , and a healthy swabbing with some high proof vodka won't clean up.
happy brewing

I drained sewage in my kettle.

My handle is ismellweird.

I will be offended and/or surprised by the immediate reading as "i smell weird", and expect people to see "is mell weird" even with a very uncommon spelling.

I will get huffy and puffy that people don't believe me.

I will then attack THEM as trolls.

Sewage. I smell weird.

If you're not a troll, then you definitely shouldn't be brewing or opening a business. Especially if you don't grasp why your chosen name is a horrendous one. Because the septic issues aside, you clearly lack ANY marketing sense.

But everything screams troll. And that's where I'd put my money.

tenor.gif

Wheeeee! :D

My buddy stuck the pump in the broken drain and I believe I was in a state of septic back up and he reversed the pump so we pulled it from the drain into the pot instead of the other way.

What model pump did you say that was? I'm only asking because it seems to be self priming. I'd like to pick up one of those for my next batch of cutting edge ingredients.

Oh, one I have one last question. (In a Columbo voice)

How exactly did your feckless assistant 'Pedro' manage to insert the hose in a broken drain pipe in such a way as to create a vacuum-tight seal, which would make it possible for the pump to pull anything but air?

Soon as it is heated past 165f in the boil kettle anything living is now dead. Everything stainless could be put in kettles and boiled hard for 30 minutes. More than enough to sterilize even tiny cracks because not much can live under those temps!

My entire point isn't that you have to worry about the stainless - though there's no way in hell I'd quaff anything from "Triple F Brewing Company's" offerings...Faecal Frosting Froth just doesn't make say, "I'll have another, brother."

My point is there's a reason we have sanitary fittings. Because they can be sanitized, and other options, cannot truly be, without an incredible degree of difficulty and diligence. Screw interfaces, improper welds, etc. - we're talking unreachable microorganisms, not macro-deposits of poop.

Anyway, like I said above, I'm hugely into raw milk, cheese - and I know how close that off-white deliciousness is drawn to some brown-green undeliciousness. Everything has its process. I was an OR scrub corpsman, yes, French chef longer than the two gents who decided to call me ignorant and overly emotional have likely been alive, played a very small part in daily QC at Goose Island (micro sampling in packaging; dO2 and dCO2). In each world, there were requirements; and this is one, with its requirements.

There is no absolute and it all comes down to risk, and what you're willing to live with. Call me risk averse to any food surface, of any kind, contaminated with oodles of poo goo.

Faecal Frosting Frothery. Free, it's yours, troll-P.

What model pump did you say that was? I'm only asking because it seems to be self priming. I'd like to pick up one of those for my next batch of cutting edge ingredients.

Oh, one I have one last question. (In a Columbo voice)

How exactly did your feckless assistant 'Pedro' manage to insert the hose in a broken drain pipe in such a way as to create a vacuum-tight seal, which would make it possible for the pump to pull anything but air?

As I said, I believe the drain was backing up. In other words the pump line was literally inserted into the sewage. I will have to check the model if you are actually interested but yes it’s not one where you have to fill it up first.

I think this thread has run its course and broken down to insults when I need real help. Thanks to the ones that offered me real advice and not just caking fun of every comment. If I have real questions further I will ask in a different part of this forum where hopefully helpful people are waiting. Goodbye.

Really I only will rehash it one more time because you are asking regular and not condescending like many others. My handle is “is Mell weird” and it’s a long story I won’t retell here again.

Not sure of the rules on changing names here, but programmers cannot use spaces in a lot of text so we use a typographical convention called Camel Case. No spaces - just capitalize the first letter of every word. It helps avoid calling somebody smelly...eg IsMellWeird :tank:

Not sure of the rules on changing names here, but programmers cannot use spaces in a lot of text so we use a typographical convention called Camel Case. No spaces - just capitalize the first letter of every word. It helps avoid calling somebody smelly...eg IsMellWeird :tank:

Jesus, how does it end for me. And again I get shucked back into this thread because people are saying things and misrepresenting me in a public forum. Fine, I bite. Yes I guess if I was a programmer and thinking about camel cases then maybe I would have done better but my lifelong joke Is Mell Weird I just typed ismellweird then everyone sits there all day thinking of ways it can be twisted into an insult, and oh boy didn't you find a convenient one didn't you. I could sit here all day thinking of insults and I could call you all alcoholics. Oh right it's just a hobby you don't have a problem, you just make gallons of beer constantly. I see some of you -- 3 or 4 beers fermenting at once, that's hundreds of beer! Well it's not my hobby or my condition but it will be my business. And I'd appreciate if you minded my own business now. Goodbye.

Well it's not my hobby or my condition but it will be my business. And I'd appreciate if you minded my own business now. Goodbye.

Always a good way to jump into a business. Not knowing what youre doing or having a passion for it. I wish you the best of luck.

We were all trying to be civil but you have to see it from where we are coming from. A guy with a user name that looks like I smell weird (I know, its your lifelong joke) comes in here asking about a turd filled brew kettle and gets defensive when we crack a few jokes. If you look at the beginning of the thread people were actually trying to help. Then you went off the deep end. Now you are getting upset and call everyone on the site alcoholics. Not a good way to make friends.

FWIW the more and more I read your posts I believe you are a troll, but this thread is entertaining and people are having a good time with it. And it seems like it will be around a little longer. So I suggest you put on your big boy pants and roll with it.

Now how do you suggest we go about minding your business...

If you look at the beginning of the thread people were actually trying to help. Then you went off the deep end.

You want me to look at it from your perspective. Ok I tried, now please look at it from mine.

I asked how to sanitize my kettle and I was giving many helpful ideas.

I thanked everyone for their help and attempted to end the thread in post #26, many days ago. Go back and read it. It should have ended there without any suggestion of trolling and if you look I didn't nothing wrong other than to admit to a bad and maybe unusual problem.

If you really want to understand what happened, lets pretend we're in people's court then, the entire thread went off the deep end (not me) at post #47 by jayjay1976. He out of nowhere suggested trolling, then everyone went from being helpful to potty talk and name calling after that point.

Go back and read and then honestly tell me who was the first to go "off the deep end".

I dont' think you all are alcoholics, maybe my emotions finally got the best of me here, but I was just saying if we want to throw stones at some point maybe I deserve to throw one back. Maybe after 178 messages where I'm patient. And somehow you think you're all the ones wearing big boy pants.

I drained sewage in my kettle.

My handle is ismellweird.

I will be offended and/or surprised by the immediate reading as "i smell weird", and expect people to see "is mell weird" even with a very uncommon spelling.

I will get huffy and puffy that people don't believe me.

I will then attack THEM as trolls.

Sewage. I smell weird.

If you're not a troll, then you definitely shouldn't be brewing or opening a business. Especially if you don't grasp why your chosen name is a horrendous one. Because the septic issues aside, you clearly lack ANY marketing sense.

But everything screams troll. And that's where I'd put my money.

Don't forget the strawberry cupcakes. :mug:

You want me to look at it from your perspective. Ok I tried, now please look at it from mine.

I asked how to sanitize my kettle and I was giving many helpful ideas. And somehow you think you're all the ones wearing big boy pants.

First off... I dont think that word means what you think it means (posts quoted in order)

Second... We have looked at it from yours. Yes its a bummer. You got sewage in your kettle. We helped with that. Then we realized that your handle is ISmellWeird (we know its not (now)) which is fairly ironic. Then you proceed to tell us that you are opening a business with your name ISmellWeird and that no one has ever bothered to inform you of that. Oh, all of this is topped off by the fact that you have never EVER brewed and that you are opening a brewery. And the cherry on top is that brewing isnt even a hobby let alone passion. At what point did you not think that this would garner some ribbing? Im sorry man, but c'mon.

How much time do you have to read some hilarity? thread

What?! Someone changed conversational gears without benefit of the clutch.

Better than rusty 55 gallon drums, depending on the enamel coating...

Got that right.

You need to read the True Beer thread to waste serious time.

I read that one too. :mug:

Trolling or not (trolling) I LOL'd several times thoughout. I really do think ISmellWeird made some Real Beer there with his SCS. This is the next beer to be considered for a style of it own IMHO. :mug:

If mel is business savvy then he can operate a brewery no problem, many of you know from experience some of the craft beers out there are terrible but are marketed to sell and that’s all that matters in the end

If mel is business savvy then he can operate a brewery no problem, many of you know from experience some of the craft beers out there are terrible but are marketed to sell and that’s all that matters in the end

I question the savvyness of anyone who leads with "ismellweird" and thinks the world will totally get it :drunk:

People questioned how Trump could possibly win the election but somehow he pulled it out, anything’s possible i guess lol [emoji23]

Maybe mel and fred meet by chance in a bar and the beer industry as we know it changes for ever

I think this thread has run its course and broken down to insults when I need real help. Thanks to the ones that offered me real advice and not just caking fun of every comment. If I have real questions further I will ask in a different part of this forum where hopefully helpful people are waiting. Goodbye.

Am I the only one who caught Mell sneaking in the word ‘caking’?

Thank you. “Is Mell weird?“is definitely something I heard a lot growing up, ha ha. So it’s fitting that this is what I’ll call my brewery. - Mell

I just don't get this. What is "Mell" short for?
What part of the world do you live in?
Pics of the carnage? Still none.
Top notch setup? How 'bout some pics?
You never clarified what "cutting edge ingredients" were, beyond something about strawberry cupcakes in the mash.
Actually now I think I get it, you are weird.

I just don't get this. What is "Mell" short for?
What part of the world do you live in?
Pics of the carnage? Still none.
Top notch setup? How 'bout some pics?
You never clarified what "cutting edge ingredients" were, beyond something about strawberry cupcakes in the mash.
Actually now I think I get it, you are weird.

Im sorry I didn’t think to take pictures of the problem I was having at the time. I have other threads where I discuss my plan for the cupcakes, and where I’m from. . This thread just didn’t appear out of nowhere I was active prior, you’re welcome to find my other threads maybe it will answer more of the many questions you have.

Mell, I agree your thread unraveled early on, and as Kev211 said earlier, your dilemma was more out of the ordinary than most anything we see reported. I don't think picking on you was by design, but the bizarre nature of your problem made this event a target at which to poke fun.

You did keep coming back which was completely your option as well as not coming back if you chose that route. Back some time ago I joined a distillers forum in which I asked a pretty basic question. I was told to look it up as this had been covered. I asked another question and was told to look it up. After the third attempt to get info and was told to look it up....I just quit logging on which was logical to my way of handling this.

I would handle your kettle filled with sewage a bit more emotionally than biologically. I could take my Blichmann kettle apart and soak all the fittings and seals, sanitize, boil and get it 100% back to sanitary conditions. That being said, I would always think about the turds floating in that kettle every time I drank a home brew. Some folks may say no big deal which I respect, but to me the stigma of that event would long remain after the bacteria was long gone.

Hope you work it all out, Mell.

Mell, I agree your thread unraveled early on, and as Kev211 said earlier, your dilemma was more out of the ordinary than most anything we see reported. I don't think picking on you was by design, but the bizarre nature of your problem made this event a target at which to poke fun.

You did keep coming back which was completely your option as well as not coming back if you chose that route. Back some time ago I joined a distillers forum in which I asked a pretty basic question. I was told to look it up as this had been covered. I asked another question and was told to look it up. After the third attempt to get info and was told to look it up....I just quit logging on which was logical to my way of handling this.

I would handle your kettle filled with sewage a bit more emotionally than biologically. I could take my Blichmann kettle apart and soak all the fittings and seals, sanitize, boil and get it 100% back to sanitary conditions. That being said, I would always think about the turds floating in that kettle every time I drank a home brew. Some folks may say no big deal which I respect, but to me the stigma of that event would long remain after the bacteria was long gone.

Hope you work it all out, Mell.

I come back because I want to be part of this community and having received all of this great brewing equipment it's a bit like christmas morning and so i find myself checking these forums and reading and trying to learn as much as I can, as quickly as I can. I'm in an area of the country where I don't have many resources or people to talk to on this problem. I see your point about my kettle but I probably will not think about the issue every time I use my kettle. I've probably experienced worse problems, my home has been under construction for quite some time and I can say it's been a while since things were shiny and new maybe like you're used to living in. I believe brewing is a rich man's hobby. And I can't just make a brewery appear out of thin air. It will take a lot of planning and hard work and calling in favors. I'm happy to see I think we've repaired this thread and I have no hard feelings. I woke up this morning and when I re-read my email lashing out and calling you all alcoholics comma I was disappointed in myself but as you all say comma maybe it's ok that we push each other around a bit comma if we're going to be a team. And as this journey continues I hope you are all on my team with Mell's Weird. As for my cupcake stout, the fermentation appears to have slowed just about to a stop. I move on now to the next steps. Wish me luck on my first steps of this long journey.

Coming back shows character, and clearly you can take some ribbing as well as dish it back out. All good, and I for one will always lend a helping hand if one is needed and I can knowledgeably weigh in as a resource. I don't speak for other HBT members, but this is a very solid community, and I would expect these good folks will stand by you when help is needed.

I started brewing in the 80's with a big can of pre-hopped LME extract kit, a plastic bucket and some assorted items for under $40. In that regards, home brewing was almost like a poor man's version of trying to get something like Bass Ale for less than the stores charged. As time went by my interest in brewing grew along with my brewing gear and related items. In this regard, I can see why it appears to be a rich man's hobby, but in fact can be quite basic with a semi-DIY mindset. My choice is to invest in brewing equipment instead of a new set of golf clubs since I'd rather brew than play golf. Personal choice and brewing remains my main interest.

I wish you well on your long journey, and don't hesitate to holler for help when needed! :mug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back