Seven (Pale Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janx

Reaction score
Here's what was brewing at my place this weekend...it's just the basic Pale Ale platform with a few twists. Nothing special, but thought y'all might like a look-see:

(I call it seven because it's the seventh batch on this yeast cake (!!)) I've been brewing quite a bit recently.

12 gallons

19 lbs 2-row
2 lbs Flaked Barley
1 lb. Aromatic malt
.5 lb Special-B
2 lbs Invert Sugar

2.5 oz 10% aa Centennial - 60 minutes
3 oz 10% Amarillo - 0 minutes

Standard infusion mash. Nothing unusual here :) I might dry hop it.

I also racked Salvador Dali's Futon (batch 2). The recipe is around here somewhere. I really like the recipe. Pale Ale with just a hint of burnt black malts. Very fun.

As of yesterday, all my fermenters and in-service kegs are full :D 35 gallons of Pale Ale. 25 of Futon. 14 of Framboise. 12 of Flemish Red. Got Porter, IPA and Stout(nitrogen) on tap. Keg of Futon conditioning is up next.

Next project - Got my hands on a wine barrel! So, I'm making 60 gallons of traditional Lambic in 4 batches with turbid mash and everything. I'll do it in stainless for a week or so and innoculate with lambic yeast and then into the oak they go! :)

Cheers :D

Baron von BeeGee said:
I'm intrigued by the lambic, but don't have the motivation to do an authentic process. How long are you going to condition it? Aging your own hops, are buying pre-aged ones?

I was making a lambic once and needed some aged hops. I went into my LHBS and asked if he had any old hops around. He thought for a minute, reach in one of his bins and said, "Here, these are at least a couple years old."

Baron von BeeGee said:
I'm intrigued by the lambic, but don't have the motivation to do an authentic process. How long are you going to condition it? Aging your own hops, are buying pre-aged ones?

Health food stores often have really old hops, but now morebeer.com is selling 10 year old hops. I'm gonna give those a try.

From what I understand, without the authentic process, you just don't get authentic results. I have made some lambics using shortcuts before, and they turned out passable, but with nowhere near the complexity of the good ones.

I started a lambic thread so we can talk sour beer here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8404

:D

Chico Ale yeast...stuff is a tropper. I was really going to bite the bullet and wash the primary yesterday, but I tasted the Futon I racked out of it (batch 6), and it was so clean and great tasting that I decided to use it again. Until it starts to taste off, I can't see a reason not to use it. Maybe the colder weather is helping it stay nice and healthy.

It was fermenting within a few hours. Going absolutely nuts now.

Back