Setting up my hopyard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virgilmule

Reaction score
I will be starting my yard this spring. My plants will be in rows 12' apart. My question is:

Is there an advantage in spacing my poles:
1 - 12 ' apart, so that each row of poles supports one row of plants

2 - 24' apart, so that each row of poles supports two rows of plants

3 - 36' apart, so that each row of poles supports three rows of plants

I would think it depends on how strong/sturdy your poles and cable are. If you can get away with less poles for all your plants then I'd say go for it. You have to consider the weight of the plants and if your cable and poles can handle it.

I'm a kind of guy that does things overkill, I have only 25 Rhizomes coming this spring and I figure 4-6 posts total for a row of plants ~75' long. I'm still debating the set up though.

it all depends on how large you are going and how much space you have to grow hops..and how you design the trellis ...In my yard, I have 9 rows of 300 foot long beds spaced 12 feet. my poles are spaced about 35 to 40 feet on each row and there about 2 rows or so apart... The main cable is 3/8s cable which crosses the yard perpendicular at 35 feet intervals the trolley is 1/4 cable that lays on top of the cross wires and runs down each row.
That is what the hops get tied too

i have pics somewhere.. i will post.. so u can get an idea...
But i think 2 row spacing is safe . heck i think i even did 3 row... 3/8s cable 9-19 has a break strength of over 14,000 lbs...
people that use 5/8 or anything larger is just waiting money...

if you were doing just one Row of hops..you could easy space hop poles 50 feet part... Have you 2 outer poles 2 feet larger then the inner and have them leaning out 20 degrees. tighten the cables to ground anchors ( the ones that are Arrow head anchors) and you will be pleased.

Back