Setting up a HERMS system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewmedic23

Reaction score
Hey all, so I have decided on setting up a HERMS and am about to start construction. I am still battling with a few ideas though.

I took my old imersion chiller and converted it into the coil for the HERMS. It is 5/8 OD copper which I put some compression fittings on and will have camlocks on the outside of my keggle.

I have a 120v 2000watt element which I'm thinking of hooking up to a johnson a419 or similiar with the thermo probe attached to the T on the inlet to the HLT where the coil is connected (hope this makes sense). I figure this way, it will get the best temp reading. Also, I am considering drilling the hole for my element on the bottom of my keg (so the element passes through the center of the coil)

Any comments or suggestions?

herms.jpg

This looks like it will work well. There's plenty of material there to provide really good heat transfer.

Do you plan on using one pump or two? You'll want to have some method of circulating or stirring the water in the HLT to avoid stratification.

Ah forgot to mention that. I would really like to stick to one pump but the more I think of it, I feel like I am going to need two. They are damn $$$. I'm still working on getting my first one.
Short of recirculating the hot liquor with an additional pump, has anyone made any gadgets for this?

There are some good looking motorized stirrers in threads around here. If you have a small motor that you can rob, then you can fashion a end that works like a propeller.

I'm mobile now and can't post links. I'll try to find some when I get to the hotel tonight.

Ah like a little blender. Thats a great idea. Ill search around and see what I can find on that

Yeah, like that. You might also be able to get an aquarium stone and use the bubbles to generate a flow.

Back