Setting a Monster Mill Correctly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing like a corona mill to put a good crush on wheat and rye, as these are huskless kernels and don't crack open like barley. A burr mill will grind the wheat and rye open unlike a roller mills one quick squeeze.....

For 28 bucks you can keep a corona milll on the side and not have to futz with the gap of your barley roller mill....

Nothing like a corona mill to put a good crush on wheat and rye, as these are huskless kernels and don't crack open like barley. A burr mill will grind the wheat and rye open unlike a roller mills one quick squeeze.....

For 28 bucks you can keep a corona milll on the side and not have to futz with the gap of your barley roller mill....

Awesome, Wilser! I have a Corona mill sitting idle in my brew cave. Good tip!

Awesome, Wilser! I have a Corona mill sitting idle in my brew cave. Good tip!

Just one time, use the Corona mill for barley, then wheat, then rye and notice the difference in how hard it is to crank. That will tell you much about the hardness/toughness of the grains. I hate to mill rye with my Corona mill.

I threaded a hex head bolt in my mill so I could turn it with a hand drill. I’ll have to play with the adjustment and get the grist size right for wheat.

Igloo cooler. Batch sparge.

I'd start at 36 and see how your sparge flows. Take some good notes and compare your efficiency to older batches. I'd expect you'll see a few points better. You can tighten the gap a bit after you see how the bed flows when your going to the kettle.

You could look into conditioning the grain and mill finer if you desire.

Personally I prefer to have a good filter bed and a nice stuck sparge brew day. So I run around 36-38 on my set up. I still get 78% efficiency and I can recirculate without concern. A batch sparge should allow you to tighten it up a bit and still get good flow. Cheers!

Just one time, use the Corona mill for barley, then wheat, then rye and notice the difference in how hard it is to crank. That will tell you much about the hardness/toughness of the grains. I hate to mill rye with my Corona mill.

No doubt you make a good point "feeling" the differences of these malts with the burr of a corona grinder. I like to taste sample various grains at my LHBS, and the difference to the tooth of wheat/rye vs barley is very obvious.

I have a mm3 and get waaaaaaay to fine crush, even with 0,065".
Anyone who has encountered the same issue?

Attached image shows crush with 0,055"

IMG_0302.jpg

I have a mm3 and get waaaaaaay to fine crush, even with 0,065".
Anyone who has encountered the same issue?

Attached image shows crush with 0,055"

I had issues until I put a router speed control on my drill. I had problems with it shredding the husks and made a ton of flour milling too fast. I’m now set at
.035 and turn the speed down to about 250rpm. I’m also now conditioning the grain. My husks are whole and crush is fantastic.

That blows holes in that idea.
I thought the fixed gap roller was .060. I assume you checked to make sure that is the gap? I’m stumped! Sorry I don’t have an answer.

I have checked the gap once. But Ill check it once more.

Thank you Dog House Brew

I would also make sure the gap you set for the adjustable rollers is the same on each end. I would stick a few credit cards in from the bottom on each side and tighten the set screws. Something sounds out of whack. Let us know on what you find.

I'd start at 36 and see how your sparge flows. Take some good notes and compare your efficiency to older batches. I'd expect you'll see a few points better. You can tighten the gap a bit after you see how the bed flows when your going to the kettle.

You could look into conditioning the grain and mill finer if you desire.

Personally I prefer to have a good filter bed and a nice stuck sparge brew day. So I run around 36-38 on my set up. I still get 78% efficiency and I can recirculate without concern. A batch sparge should allow you to tighten it up a bit and still get good flow. Cheers!

I have a pump and I'd LOVE to be able to do a continuous recirculation. I have parts/dreams of doing a 3 keg single tier setup with pumps so part of this might be moving towards the end goal. Once I get the gap set to where I like it it's one less component to mess with and one step closer to consistent brewing.

Oh and I had a nice stuck sparge. 20% oats will do it without rice hulls I learned.

Back