Session Red IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betarhoalphadelta

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm doing an O'fest party in a few weeks, and I already have an Oktoberfestbier, Schwarzbier, Gose, Apfelwein, and Barrel-Aged Belgian Golden Strong. I have one tap left on the keezer, and there's nothing hoppy on the list, so I'm looking at doing either a session red IPA, or just a standard session IPA.

Thoughts on the below? I'm thinking the Crystal and the 152 mash temp should help the body stand up to the 55 IBU and heavy late hopping.

---------------------

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.039 SG
Estimated FG: 1.008 SG
Estimated ABV: 4.0%
Estimated Color: 13.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 55.4 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 84.7 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.8 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.4 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.4 %
0.25 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.7 %
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60. Hop 6 28.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 10. Hop 7 10.4 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 10.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 Hop 9 5.7 IBUs
3.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 10 -
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

(Note: the "5 min" hops will be added at flameout for a 20min hot whirlpool. I use 5 min in the brewing software as I know I'll still get some IBU extraction from them).

Total Grain Weight: 14.75 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 27.24 qt of water at 161.0 F 152.0 F 60 min

I've also considered an alternate where I replace enough of the pale with Rye to account for about 20% rye in the grist, keeping the same OG.

Just keep an eye on the amount of rye you use, because around 20% and up it can cause issues with mashing and lautering.

I made a session IRA that was fantastic and based on Bobby M's Magnarillocent Amber Ale, but I did indeed add some flaked oats for some body. It turned out great and keg was finished rather quickly. I might suggest to add some Munich and Victory malt for some backbone as un his recipe and some oats or wheat malt for some body. You can check out the "session IPAs let's hear it" thread for more on this. 3-4 oz dry hopped will be delish - I love this style...

Thanks guys...

45th -- I use rye quite a bit, so I'll add some rice hulls. Generally I leave those out of printed recipes in Beersmith (until right before I brew so I can properly calculate mash temp) as Beersmith includes them in the grain percentage, throwing the percentages off.

Duff -- I generally avoid Biscuit and Victory because I'm not a big fan of too much biscuit character... I think I might have a couple pounds of Vienna on hand to replace a bit of the pale malt, though, that might be a nice addition.

I am currently drinking a Session Rye EPA that I made and I love it. Recipes is here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/session-rye-epa-419836/

I would definitely replace some of the 2 row with vienna. You could actually go pretty high and it would be fine. I feel like the beer I made is lacking a certain malt character, but otherwise delicious.

In some of my darker rye IPA, I do add some aromatic malt (but if you don't like that flavor, completely understanable). I made a version a rye version of Surly Furious that was really tasty that included a small amount of aromatic.

Keep us posted on how this turns out.

tallguy,

(Not sure you can have that name -- I'm 6'5" myself!)

Thanks for the notes. I boosted it to 3.5# Vienna, although I need to check at home and confirm I have that much, and took out the equivalent of pale malt. I might boost the mash temp a tad as well to about 154.

I turned the first hop addition into FWH and dropped it to 0.75 oz, so right now I'm at a total calculated IBU of 50.5. But as everyone describes FWH as giving a slightly more "mellow" bitterness, I think it will be more appropriate in a sub-4% beer.

Thanks!

Flaked oats will add some depth to the body in a low ABV beer like this. I also really like the blend of Cascade/Centennial with a red hoppy beer. I would be tempted to up the C120 a bit and lower the C40.

I prefer to offset IBUs with body, rather than sweetness. 1.039 to 1.008 leaves very little body. Switching some of the base to rye would give you more body, as would a 156ish mash temp or a less attenuative yeast. Another option would be to change the C20 to Carapils. Of course, that's all based on my perferences, which may be different from those of the party guests.

Back