Session IPA Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muchacho

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi-
I have been trying to make a light IPA since before I had grey hair and have never been able to get it quite right. Most recently we made one on 9/10/13, and it is nearly undrinkable. It is wicked dank, spicy, pungent, with a touch of citrus. The pours continue to have too much particulate matter, but that is probably because the keg has been moved. Now it is in its final location and I hope it get better- or else this will be the first batch that I have ever dumped!

78% 2-row, 8.5% white wheat, 4.3% carapils, 4.3% crystal 40L, 4.3% vienna.
Mashed ~ 151 OG 1.042, FG 1.007, 4.6% ABV
0.25 oz Amarillo + 0.25 oz CTZ at 60, 15, 10, 5, and 0 minutes.
1 oz amarillo + 1 oz CTZ dry hop in bag in keg @ RT x 3 days (removed 2nd overwhelming dankness / spicyness)

Used Wy#1272 with starter

My guess is that the CTZ is just too much, but I was wondering if you all have any other thoughts. Think it will get better with time?

Muchas gracias!

The only thing I can say is that hops flavor and aroma along with spices will fade over time. For a light session IPA, try doing a one malt one hop version. I've got an all pale malt and Falconers on tap that's pretty damn good.

i dont see anything wrong with the recipe unless you dont like CTZ. tons of dank sounds great to me. just give it some time, probably be great after another week of being settled

Why do you put wheat in an IPA?
Change the yeast perhaps? Or your fermentation temps. WY1272 is sensitive to that and produces different flavors.
I'm not that familiar with CTZ or how Amarillo fits with it. Change to hops you know you like.

CTZ is dank, and that's where this flavor is coming from. The later in the boil it is, it seems like the danker it gets. It may not improve much, as that really is a hallmark of CTZ.

Why do you put wheat in an IPA?
Change the yeast perhaps? Or your fermentation temps. WY1272 is sensitive to that and produces different flavors.
I'm not that familiar with CTZ or how Amarillo fits with it. Change to hops you know you like.

A little bit of wheat actually adds a little bit of complexity and mouthfeel to a nice well balanced IPA! Especially if you like yours on the drier, crispier side.

I like to use WY1056 in my IPA as it is super clean and attenuates well. I pitch at 60 and ferment at 65. I like warrior to bitter as I find it to be a nice balanced bitterness and then concentrate all my other additions from 15 minutes on with any of the 'c' hops or amarillo as well and then dry hop for 5-7 days with at least 3 oz of nice aroma hops. I am not a fan of Citra though, every time I have tried it I get cat piss but that's just me:)

Thanks for all the input. Hopefully it will mellow out with a little age. I like a little wheat in my lighter side pale ales, thats just how I have been rolling... I fermented this one at 65 and I like the little complexity that I get from 1212. Plus, I think it drops out faster than 1056. And you are right that I should have stuck to hops that I know well. I think my efforts backfired a little on this one!

I have made beers with CTZ before and really liked them. I think this batch just brought out another side of dank- more skunky, than kind...

I will let you all know if it gets any better in a few weeks.

I did this for a summer golden ale (really a light IPA) which worked out pretty well

8 lbs Pale Malt, Golden Promise 86.5 %
16.0 oz Wheat, Torrified 10.8 %
4.0 oz Aromatic Malt 2.7 %
35.437 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min 21.8 IBUs
28.350 g Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min 7.0 IBUs
28.350 g Citra [14.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [35.49 ml]

Measured Original Gravity: 1.038 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.006 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.2 %

Latest posts

Back