Session Indian Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigT

Reaction score
i was shooting towards a scaled down black IPA, that was a little lighter and more of a session beer. and it turned out even better than i had expected. the dark malts balance great with the bitterness and hop aroma and its one that makes me keep going back for a refill. this is one i will be keeping in my rotation for sure so i figured id post for those who would want to try a brown ale that is hopped like an ipa.

IBU's: 54.91
Color: 17.2 SRM
OG: 1.047
FG: 1.010
ABV: 4.85%
Efficiency: 75%

Grains: Mash at 150F for 60m (I'm sure you could bump it up a few degrees but i like mine a little drier)

8 lbs 2-row
1 lb Caramel 40L
.25 lb Dark Chrystal 85L
.25 lb Chocolate 350L

Hop Additions: Could be changed to your liking. I used what i had in the freezer at the time. I know I've only seen calypso at farmhouse which i bought because it was so cheap. I'm sure you could replace it with any high alpha variety

.33 oz Nugget 13% 60m
.5 oz Calypso 14.3% 25m
.33 oz Nugget 13% 20m
.5 oz Cascade 5.5% 15m
.5 oz Cascade 5.5% 10m
.33 oz Nugget 13% 5m
1 oz Cascade 5.5% 0m
.5 Calypso 14.3% 0m

Yeast: Safale US-05 Ferment around 60F

I kegged this at one month. it was great then but the flavors blended together making it even better after another month in the keg.

Looks good to me. Id like to brew that I think. I've made a couple sessions this summer using extract/steep for a "quick brew day". Good beers. A lil thin. I believe this was a result of too much top off water. PITA brew days, both of em. It was like I forgot how to extract brew. Boil overs, f'd up numbers, quick for sure but I'll never stray from AG again.

Latest posts

Back