Session india red ale recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trails_n_Ales

Reaction score
I want to brew a session India Red Ale so I tweaked this grain bill from another recipe that I like the color and flavor. Any suggestions or changes to make this recipe work?
OG: 1.042
SRM: 14.05
ABV: 4.58%
6lb Maris Otter (70.6%)
1lb flaked oats (11.8%)
.5lb Vienna (5.9%)
.5lb Crystal 60L (5.9%)
.25lb Carapils (2.9%)
.25lb Chocolate (2.9%)
I also need help on my hop schedule. Originally I wanted to throw citra and mosaic together, but want to try out some new hops I haven’t tried yet. Any suggestions on on a hop schedule with any of the following and keep it sessionable? Equinox, Azacca, Falconer’s flight.

I'm working on the same thing for my next brew. I don't have experience with the specific hops you listed. I plan on using CTZ at 60 minutes to get to 40ibu. Then throw in an oz each of citra, mosaic, & simcoe at whirlpool & dryhop in keg with an oz each.

Malt bill looks fine. May not need the carapils. Won't hurt it though.

Good deal...Yeah, I think i have some CTZ laying around so i may use that for a bittering charge then late additions for the rest.

This is the recipe I think that I'm going to settle on. I want a easy drinking beer that still has some character. Any thoughts on the below recipe? Change/add anything? I'm pretty set on the grain bill. Just not sure about the hop schedule. Thanks!

Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.042
Final Gravity: 1.007
IBU: 57.17
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 14.13
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days at 68 Degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 Days at 68 Degrees

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.50 gal

Estimated IBU:
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
7lb Maris Otter 84.8%
.5lb Vienna 6.1%
.5lb Crystal 60L 6.1%
.25 American Chocolate 3%
.5oz Columbus 60
.5oz Azacca 10
.5oz Falconer’s Flight 10
.5oz Azacca 5
.5oz Falconer’s Flight 5
1oz Azacca Whirlpool 20mins
1oz Falconer’s Flight Whirlpool 20mins
1oz Azacca DH
1oz Falconer’s Flight DH
Safale US-05

Mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes.

Looks good to me. Just make sure not to sit on those dry hops more than a couple of days, otherwise it'll start getting vegetal.

Back