Session Black Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BogusOwnz

Reaction score
I finally got the recipe dialed in. I figure third time the charm. I decided to go all chinook because it's my favorite hop and being that I created this recipe to satisfy my personal taste it just seems right.

6 gallon batch collected 7 gallons for boil.
SG 1.042 FG 1.010
44IBUs
28.5 SRM
70% efficiently
single infusion mash at 151 degrees

8.75lbs American Two-Row
.05 Carafa 3
.05 crystal 60
.25 chocolate 420

.7 oz chinook @ 60
.7 oz* chinook @ 20
.7 oz chinook @ 10
.9 oz* chinook @ 0
2oz chinook dry hop for 7 days in secondary

Chinook used was 10% AA
US-05 yeast

The boil is still going right now but based on pre-boil readings I'm spot on. I'll ferment between 66 and 68 degrees.

Sounds tasty. Chinook took center stage in a black IPA I brewed last January. Loved it. Great hop for dark hoppy ales.

Ive been brewing this beer non stop every 3 batches for the last year and it has become my house beer. The grain bill has never changed and I had settled on this for hop additions:

.5oz Chinook @60
.7oz Chinook @20
.7oz Chinook @10
1.1oz Chinook @ 0
2oz Chinook Dry hop

I would just adjust the bittering and flame out depending on alpha acid in the chinook but I would always brew with 5oz even. This was until my last batch which I increased the chinook to 5.5oz and did this:

.5oz Chinook @60
1oz Chinook @20
1.5oz Chinook @0
2.5 oz Chinook Dry Hop

I am now torn as to which I enjoy more! tough business! I will brew the original hop schedule next and see if I do in fact like the new simplified one better. My guess is that by increasing the 20 and flame out addition it made the 10 min addition that I got rid of not needed?

p.s. chinook used in this additions is 11.8%AA

This looks great. I've been looking to make a simple Chinook pale with some Crystal 120 to see how they play together, but now I'm thinking this is the way to go.

Back