Session APA - Mosaic and Galaxy Hop Build?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slumslum

Reaction score
Hey everyone - I never used Mosaic or Galaxy hops before and I would like to give them a shot in my next brew. The idea is to make a session-able beer with a lowish ABV, but a decent IBU with a big tropical/citrus flavor.

Problem is that I don't really know what works best together with Mosaic/Galaxy hops. Would Magnum or Warrior hops work well for the bittering hops or should I look elsewhere.

Here is my build so far so any advice on the hop schedule would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to keep the OG around 1.044-1.047 and keep the final ABV around 4.7-5.0%.

All Grain - 10 gallon batch - 72-75% Efficiency

Grain Build

• 7lbs - Pale Malt - 2 Row
  • 7lbs - Maris Otter
  • 1lbs - Flaked Barley
  • 1lbs - Caramel 10L

Yeast
  • Safale US-05

Other
  • 1lbs Sucrose

Any advice on how to make this a nice session-able Mosaic/Galaxy APA?

IMO, the key to a good session pale ale is mashing high (154-158) and I shoot for a FG of 1.014-1.016. I would drop the sucrose because you don't want to dry it out. Slightly increase the flaked rye.

Multiple ways to approach the hops, but if you still want decent bitterness I would use an ounce of Columbus to bitter (since it's a 10 gal). I have found warrior to be lacking and no longer use it.

I still like a 10 min addition although lots of people skip that and place all hops at flame out and whirlpool.

If you want more fruit bomb could go
1 oz CTZ @ 60
1 oz mosaic & 1 oz Galaxy @ 10
Chill to 160 degrees then
2-3oz mosaic & 2-3 oz Galaxy for 30-45 min whirlpool

Dry hop 2:1 ratio of mosaic to Galaxy for more citrus and 1:1 more tropical

For a slightly more citrus and dank version I target ~ 60 IBU not counting flameout or whirlpool

1 oz CTZ @ 60
1 oz CTZ, mosaic, Galaxy @ 10
Chill to 160
3 oz mosaic, 2 oz Galaxy, 1 oz CTZ
Whirlpool for 30-60 min

Dry hop 2:1:.5 mosaic: Galaxy : CTZ with as many oz as you can

agree with the above. CTZ/Columbus works very well with these 2 hops. I would however move the 10 minute to the last minute and whirlpool as well as dry hop the hell out of it.

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to go this route. I never dry-hopped before. Are leaf hops preferred or would pellets in a bag work as well?

Should I dunk them in boiling water to kill off any possible infections prior to throwing them in the fermentors? Vodka maybe?

Edit: just in case they are out of Galaxy... Would citra be an acceptable substitute?

Last edited:
I always dry-hop with pellets in a bag with zero issues. I find that leaf hops absorb more than I'd like them too. As far as sanitizing, I just spray down the hop bag really good prior to and pour hop pellets right in. No reason for a vodka soak or boiling water. You don't want to break down the pellet, let the beer do that.

As far as a galaxy substitute. Yes, Citra as well as Nelson would also work really well with Mosaic.

I got all the ingredients I needed today for this beer and dropped the sugar from the recipe.

Grain Build - 10G batch

• 7lbs - Pale Malt - 2 Row
  • 7lbs - Maris Otter
  • 1lbs - Flaked Barley
  • 1lbs - Caramel 10L

Yeast
  • Safale US-05

Hops
  • 1.00oz Columbus (60 Min)
  • 1.00oz Columbus (1 Min)
  • 1.00oz Galaxy (1 Min)
  • 1.00oz Mosaic (1 Min)
  • 3.00oz Mosaic (Whirlpool)
  • 1.00oz Columbus (Whirlpool)
  • 2.00oz Galaxy (Whirlpool)

Going to drop the boil down to 160 and whirlpool for 45 minutes.

My question now is how much is too much for dry hopping? drewmarkwith suggested dry hopping with a ratio of 2:1:0.5 with Mosaic:Galaxy:Columbus with "as much as I can". Would 4oz Mosaic, 2oz Galaxy, and 1oz Columbus be good enough or should I shoot for something more like 8oz Mosaic, 4oz Galaxy, and 2oz Columbus? I don't really care about the cost of the hops, I just want to have something that has a great aroma and hoppy taste, but is still session-able.

A huge thank you to everyone who gave me input so far. I am still learning the ropes when it comes to recipe builds.

I would defer to people who brew 10 gallon batches since I only brew 5 gal batches. I usually use 6-8 ounces dry hops for 5 gallon, so makes sense to just double it to me. Do you keg or bottle? I like to dry hop first round loose pellets in fermenter then cold crash for 12 hours enough to drop hops to bottom then use autosiphon to rack to CO2 purged keg. Then I add second round hops to the keg in Muslin bag

Back