Serving Keg Beer Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markymarx

Reaction score
System: Danby Kegerator converted to two corny kegs. Primary CO2 regulator on the back to a secondary regulator (with 3 secondaries to be able to serve two and carb one) inside the kegerator.

Kegs were cleaned, sanitized and bad o-rings replaced.

I added Gelatin to the kegs about 3 weeks ago now.

Problem: One keg serves no problem at 10 psi. Other keg does not flow at all.

Initially keg that was not flowing beer was not maintaining a good seal on the gas connector. Then when removing the ball lock connector the tappet was not seated and would bleed off all pressure. Did not have this issue when carbing to start with and kegs were at room temperature. Fridge set to 41F per Danby display.

Switched gas lines and no success. Switched beverage lines and no success. Am able to flow cleaner through both lines using a pressurized sprayer tank.

Took out liquid post and it is not plugged. Also back flowed gas

Replaced gas post with another as a quick trial before trying new o-rings on original post. No beer flowing. However the keg is holding pressure with the disconnect on and off.

Moved gas and beer line from keg that is flowing to keg that is not and still no flow....

I've looked through posts on here and have not gotten a good answer as to what to try next.

What should I try next?

Swap liquid posts?
Rebuild another keg and siphon into another keg?

Did you pull the diptube and make sure nothing is stuck in it? If I read that right you used all the external equipment that is known to be working on the bad keg with no change in behavior.

With a very low pressure on the keg (2-5 psi), push the liquid poppet down (small screwdriver or nail set). Beer should come out. If not, increase the pressure a bit (5-10) and try again.

With a very low pressure on the keg (2-5 psi), push the liquid poppet down (small screwdriver or nail set). Beer should come out. If not, increase the pressure a bit (5-10) and try again.

Will try this...This pretty much is the only thing I have not done. I have not used the non-flowing beer line on the keg that does flow..Same thing just different way to check for it. However, I am using this (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f254/diy-beer-line-cleaner-226497/) line cleaner and had multiple batches of BLC, StarSan and Water flow through the liquid ball lock fitting...

Did you pull the diptube and make sure nothing is stuck in it? If I read that right you used all the external equipment that is known to be working on the bad keg with no change in behavior.

Yes, external equipment is working. I did pull the dip tube and there were no obstructions.

Thanks for the quick answers guys.

Will try this...This pretty much is the only thing I have not done. I have not used the non-flowing beer line on the keg that does flow..Same thing just different way to check for it. However, I am using this (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f254/diy-beer-line-cleaner-226497/) line cleaner and had multiple batches of BLC, StarSan and Water flow through the liquid ball lock fitting...

When it gets complicated, try to isolate each link in the chain and test separately.

You may want to hold an upside down cup over the post while pressing the button. If there's no restriction it will squirt out and give you a shower! So use lower pressure first.

Problem could be in the poppet/post. Maybe the QD doesn't press the poppet down.

Or wrong size poppet. If that poppet spring is compressed to the max a QD can't push it. You'll find out soon...

Thanks guys for the ideas and help.

Under pressure, I can press the poppet down and....no shower. Nothing...

I left the keg pressurized in the kegerator not hooked up (2 or 3 days ago). It had no pressure before pressing on the poppet. Pressurized it and sprayed top with StarSan. No bubbles...

Tried a post from another keg and it did not fit.

Dip tub is clear. Can run tap water through it with no issue.

Can pressurize through the liquid QD and I believe there was a bubble sound from within the keg but nothing else...

So, will try and find a post to swap to on this keg. If nothing fits will probably clean up another keg and verify it will transfer beer out under pressure.

What else can I check for or do?

Can you post pictures of the posts from both kegs? I wonder if the posts are messed up. Did you buy these kegs used or new? If new where were they made? Some of the stuff coming out of china right now has some problems. Most of the new italian kegs are pretty good. And if it was used who knows what you have.

Thanks guys for the ideas and help.

Under pressure, I can press the poppet down and....no shower. Nothing...

I left the keg pressurized in the kegerator not hooked up (2 or 3 days ago). It had no pressure before pressing on the poppet. Pressurized it and sprayed top with StarSan. No bubbles...

Tried a post from another keg and it did not fit.

Dip tub is clear. Can run tap water through it with no issue.

Can pressurize through the liquid QD and I believe there was a bubble sound from within the keg but nothing else...

So, will try and find a post to swap to on this keg. If nothing fits will probably clean up another keg and verify it will transfer beer out under pressure.

What else can I check for or do?

So you have confirmed that the keg is receiving pressure by hooking it up and releasing the PRV?

You can push the poppet and nothing happens.

The dip tube is clear.

You can pressurize through the liquid side so there are no clogs in the whole out line.

Is it possible the gelatin settled on the bottom and you are pushing the the dip tube down into some trub jello?

How about putting the post back on without the dip tube. Do you get gas coming out the liquid post then?

If so then something must be at the bottom of your keg causing the clog.

I had a issue like this and it was an old reg problem. I was showered with beer once I hit 30 lbs and heard the gas rush into the keg.

Crank it to 25-30 lbs or until you can hear he gas going in. then put a bucket under the tap and see what gives.

Ok...so with the holidays and need fridge space this poor performer was yanked for other food/beer.

The keg sat since Dec 24th in roughly 65 F basement. Hooked it up to gas and no flow. Shook it up, turned pressure up and...no flow...Pulled the dip tube and it was clear. Installed liquid post with no dip tube and gas flowed...Took dip tube off and tappet fell right out. Put everything back together and I have beer flowing.

So first pints were thick and jello like consistency. Unfortunately there still seems to be a lot of spice in suspension (pumpkin ale) so I'm giving it more time for that to settle and hopefully will have clearer beer to pour tomorrow.

So, thank you for all of the suggestions and help. It has been much appreciated.

I have learned that before kegging any beer I need to rebuild kegs and test prior to use. Probably a good thing to do anyways, now I have more motivation.

so you have confirmed that the keg is receiving pressure by hooking it up and releasing the prv?

You can push the poppet and nothing happens.

The dip tube is clear.

You can pressurize through the liquid side so there are no clogs in the whole out line.

Is it possible the gelatin settled on the bottom and you are pushing the the dip tube down into some trub jello?

How about putting the post back on without the dip tube. Do you get gas coming out the liquid post then?

If so then something must be at the bottom of your keg causing the clog.

this ^^

Back