Serving from a natually carbed keg without a regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestGeek

Reaction score
I don't have a full co2 setup yet (no tank or regulator), but I kegged some of my last batch in a 1.75 gal keg and primed it with priming sugar. I have a picnic tap, a mini co2 keg charger and plan to put this in my fridge to serve it. I don't plan to drink all of it within a few days, but maybe within 2-3 weeks, will it become flat? Should I only add co2 when it is no longer flowing, or should I make sure I add co2 more often. Has anyone here tried this type of setup and have any tips, tricks, advice, etc that may help?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I never add CO2, I tend to prime with malt extract and just let the pressure build up again - repriming if necessary but usualy I drink until the pressure goes then bottle the rest.

If it goes half way through a drinking session then loosen the cap and when you're done drinking try to remember to tighten it again and prime a little more.

I haven't tried the keg chargers, so take my advice with a drop of gose, but I am pretty sure you'll want to only charge the keg when it stops flowing and when you are done drinking for the day. This will be most likely to keep the carbonation at a decent level. I'll also suggest getting some swing top bottles for future batches of similar size to avoid having to pay for the "charges." Also keep an eye out for a cheap tank and regulator on craigslist. Sometimes old/broken kegerators are on there super cheap and you can salvage the parts you need.

You cannot reliably maintain a constant carbonation level without a pressure gage of some kind. The changes in carbonation may not matter to you but it won't be constant unless it is held under constant temperature and pressure.

Thank you all for the info! It will probably be some trial and error. I'll I'm not too concerned about the carbonation level with this keg... I may just have to drink it faster. ;)

I'm hoping to have a tank and regulator soon, but since I lack extra space for a kegerator in my small apartment, I thought I'd give this a try for now. Since I already have a fermentaion mini fridge and don't want to serve in that, I need to keep the space for the keg/tank/regulator small so it doesn't take up too much room in the food fridge. I might check out a paintball tank setup.

Back