Separate Beta-Glucan Rest for Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustLooking

Reaction score
If you buy into wanting a Beta-Glucan rest for rye, but have trouble raising the temperature to saccrification as quickly as you'd like, would it make sense to do a separate beta-glucan rest for the rye?

By this I mean, mash in with only the rye at around 1.3 qts/lb and hold 104 degrees for 30 minutes. Then infuse with enough liquid at the temperature required to get your mash to saccrification temperature after adding the remainder of you grain bill.

This is for a grain bill with about one third rye.

Sounds reasonable to me. Amylase activity at 104 F shouldn't be significant enough to appreciably alter fermentabiltiy.

FWIW, I've done 2 roggenbiers with 45% rye. The one without the beta-glucan rest was a nightmare in lautering and the one with ran beautifully. I brewed them on completely different systems, so I can't attribute the difference solely to the beta-glucan rest, but even the texture of the wort prior to lautering was drastically improved.

In the past I've gotten a slick mouth feel without the beta-glucan rest. For this beer I'm thinking of giving Palmer's 104-140-158 (30 minutes each) mash schedule a try. Difference being that only the Rye will see the 104 degree temperature.

My first batch had that slick or oily character too. The one with the beta-gluan rest isn't like that at all, but lots of other things in my process changed. I wish I could say more certainly that it was the beta-glucan rest that did it. Maybe your results will be more telling :)

Back