sensitivity to hop compounds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfonnes

Reaction score
Wyeast indicates that lactobacillus is sensitive to hop compounds and recommends keeping the IBU's below 10.

I am trying to sour a brew that has an IBU of about 22 using the dregs from a bottle of Orval.

Will the hop compounds have an effect on the brett?

dry hopping doesn't add IBUs, also I don't think Orval has any souring bacteria, just brett..

I've had a beer with 25 IBUs become very sour due to a lactobacillus infection, so it's not as if all lacto can't survive more than 10 IBU, it just may be hindered a bit.

dry hopping doesn't add IBUs, also I don't think Orval has any souring bacteria, just brett..

I've had a beer with 25 IBUs become very sour due to a lactobacillus infection, so it's not as if all lacto can't survive more than 10 IBU, it just may be hindered a bit.

True, Lacto. delbrueckii that is available through wyeast/white labs is quite sensitive, while lacto. brevis that is a common naturally occuring species is not sensitive at all, and is much more aggressive than delbrueckii.

Back