Sending a beer back to the bar...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babb9520

Reaction score
After being in CO for a while, there is one thing I've noticed where I'm at that really grinds my gears: dirty, smelly, and rather thoughtless bars and bartenders. This is not to say all are like this. There are a few great bars and most of the breweries have good staff as well, but the mainstay of bars, where almost all of them you can get fair-priced CO and west coast craft beers, a good number of imports, and a pizza to go along, have some major issues. I assume there are places like this everywhere, but at least where I was in NY before, I didn't seem to have as much trouble.

Yes, a lot of these bars have problems with sanitation and cleaning. When a bar has that sour funk smell to it, it is a dead giveaway. There have been a few times I've ordered a beer and have gotten an off flavor of which I know does not belong in the beer.

In addition to this, most people will pour your beer like they do a Bud: that you want the maximum amount of beer in your glass with no head so you can get drunk faster. Now that is not to say that I want a head on my beer that takes up half the glass, but I think it is reasonable to expect at least a modest head on your beer, which I strongly believe affects the smell, taste, and experience of the brew. This is especially true of most Belgian beers. When I order a Belgian beer I'm expecting to receive a pour that does justice to that style of beer. Shoot, I mean a lot of glasses will even have a line denoting the serving size in which all space above that can be filled with a head.

So do you think it is appropriate that (within reason) if I receive a beer that smells sour or funky when it is not supposed to, is almost completely flat when it is not supposed to be, or receive a beer without a head when it should have one that I send it back to the bar and demand either a better pour or a different beer? I guess it just comes down to the fact that I don't want to waste my money on something I'm not going to enjoy because of someone else's mishap in handling.

After being in CO for a while, there is one thing I've noticed where I'm at that really grinds my gears: dirty, smelly, and rather thoughtless bars and bartenders. This is not to say all are like this. There are a few great bars and most of the breweries have good staff as well, but the mainstay of bars, where almost all of them you can get fair-priced CO and west coast craft beers, a good number of imports, and a pizza to go along, have some major issues. I assume there are places like this everywhere, but at least where I was in NY before, I didn't seem to have as much trouble.

Yes, a lot of these bars have problems with sanitation and cleaning. When a bar has that sour funk smell to it, it is a dead giveaway. There have been a few times I've ordered a beer and have gotten an off flavor of which I know does not belong in the beer.

In addition to this, most people will pour your beer like they do a Bud: that you want the maximum amount of beer in your glass with no head so you can get drunk faster. Now that is not to say that I want a head on my beer that takes up half the glass, but I think it is reasonable to expect at least a modest head on your beer, which I strongly believe affects the smell, taste, and experience of the brew. This is especially true of most Belgian beers. When I order a Belgian beer I'm expecting to receive a pour that does justice to that style of beer. Shoot, I mean a lot of glasses will even have a line denoting the serving size in which all space above that can be filled with a head.

So do you think it is appropriate that (within reason) if I receive a beer that smells sour or funky when it is not supposed to, is almost completely flat when it is not supposed to be, or receive a beer without a head when it should have one that I send it back to the bar and demand either a better pour or a different beer? I guess it just comes down to the fact that I don't want to waste my money on something I'm not going to enjoy because of someone else's mishap in handling.

The smelly bars is rather off-putting, that I do agree.

But when it comes to head on a beer, the general rule of thumb is that most customers feel that they are being cheated on when they get too much head. So a decent bartender will serve a beer with a moderate amount of head. If you want more than that, just ask "put a good head on it".

Personally I like no more than 1/2" of foam.

M_C

Personally I wouldn't send a beer back for lack of head, but flat yes, and funky id tell them to clean their lines and then leave.

I have the same issues with a bar down the street from where I live. Dirty taps and pressures so low the kegs are flat within days. Unfortunately the food is good or else I wouldn't return. If I get beer that's flat ill just let it stay on the bar and shoot the bar keep a nasty look until they make me a happy customer.

Yeah many bars do not even know that line cleaning is needed, I'm sure this bar you went to had most of them yellow. I would let the manager or barstaff know in person and email and let them know that this will effect yours and your friend's business.

Personally I wouldn't send a beer back for lack of head, but flat yes, and funky id tell them to clean their lines and then leave.

I agree with this, but tactfulness is key in this situation.

Ditto.

To the op: which part of ny were you in? I have had PLENTY of issues in nyc. Drain flies literally coming out of taps as they pour, chipped/cracked glasses, funky beer, flat beer, wrong beer (if you order a Victory Porter, it should not be a nice clear golden color), you name it, its happened. And oddly enough, its rare that we find an issue at the dive bars, its more common in the Tribeca, Gramercy, Meatpacking, and LES bars that charge $10 for a pint.

Moral of the story- send it back, order something in a bottle, and/or leave.

Boy,are we a bunch of beer snobs or what? I prefer a proper German pour myself. The head should be about 1/4 of the pour. And yeah,clean out those skanky lines before hooking up another keg.

I def agree with this. I am a big Fan of Rock Bottom Brewery, especially their cheap pint nights on Wednesdays, but a good 50% of the time the beer tastes funky from not cleaning the lines. It is depressing since they are a brewpub and serve their own beer. You'd think they would understand enough to keep lines clean!

I was at Busch Gardens Williamsburg this past weekend. I could make a crack about all the beers being bad becuase they were all ABInbev, but I won't. (Actually, they serve some local indies as well, which is cool for them!)

We were at Das Festhaus for lunch, so I ordered an AmberBock to accompany my meal. Das Festhaus is set up like a BIG auditorium with Oktoberfest-stule bench seating. We sat on the FAR side of the hall because our toddler was asleep in his stroller. When I got to the table and sipped my Amberbock, it was most definitely funky. Sour and sorta soapy. No, this is not the nature of this beer.

I trekked across the vastness of Das Festhaus to the front of the line and politely told the guy it wasn't right. I was able to pinpoint the off-flavor instead of just syaing it was "bad". He shrugged and just asked what I'd prefer. I guess they have a restriction against "sampling" because he told me he couldn't dispute it, so he just set it aside and I had him pour me a regular Budweiser (the only other beer in the same price category aside from Bud Lite). The Bud was actually pretty refreshing on that 108 degree day, let me tell you!

When I went back through the line for dessert like 20 minutes later, the beer was still sitting to the side, so I'd assume he would have a supervisor or someone investigate the off-flavor. My money is on either being the end of a keg (popular beer in that venue) or the extreme heat got to it somehow.

Even though BG is a theme park, it's owner by a brewery company (Under the corporate heading of Sea World, actually, I think) and they do seem to take pride in their beer.

I tried to send back a beer once because it was the wrong one. I believe the beer I ordered was supposed to be an amber and they gave me a stout or something like that. I remember it being a really dark beer that I got. So when I told the waitress, she apologized and asked if I just wanted to keep the beer and get the next one for free. Since there was nothing wrong with it, I was more than happy to get two for one.

If there was something wrong with a beer though, I would definitely send it back. Wine people do it all the time, why not us? Beer or not, you should get what you pay for.

I sent back a pitcher of draft Yuengling just last night. It tasted soapy. I told the bartender, and, sure enough, they had cleaned the lines the night before and obviously not rinsed them very well.

Anyway, the bartender was quite accomodating. They gave me a free bottle of Yuengling and I went from there.

Even though BG is a theme park, it's owner by a brewery company (Under the corporate heading of Sea World, actually, I think) and they do seem to take pride in their beer.

When Inbev bought AB one of the first things they did was sell off the theme parks. Busch Gardens in Tampa is now owned by the Blackstone Group and no longer has any basis in the beer industry.......

"On October 7, 2009 it was announced that InBev had sold all Busch Properties to The Blackstone Group for $2.7 billion. This sale includes all Busch Entertainment properties. One of the deals in the contract was that the Clydesdales at the parks be removed, as the breed of horse is associated with the Anheuser-Busch brand. In addition, the Busch Entertainment Company division that owned all of the Worlds of Discovery parks (including Busch Gardens) was renamed SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment, officially marking the finalized purchase had succeeded on December 3, 2009."

Yup....no more beer tasting pavilion at either Busch Gardens or Sea World since January 2009. I live right down the street from BG Tampa, and used to get a season pass just to go to the beer pavilion.

I don't hesitate to send a beer back if something is wrong with it. A little while ago at a place in Maine I sent a beer back because it was simply disgusting (which I don't usually do), some sort of summer beer with Citra hops. It tasted like lemon cleaning solution, totally undrinkable. The waitress came back with my new beer and said that the bartender has had a LOT of people send that beer back because it's terrible.

I think sending a beer back based only on too much or not enough of a head is pretty ridiculous. If it doesn't taste right (flat, funky, too warm, etc.), then you definitely should send it back. Sending a beer back because it wasn't poured properly is just retarded.

Plus, if you want more head, you can easily swirl it up.

My 500th post! WOOT! WOOT!

Yup....no more beer tasting pavilion at either Busch Gardens or Sea World since January 2009. I live right down the street from BG Tampa, and used to get a season pass just to go to the beer pavilion.

I literally lived down the street from BG. Could hear the coasters in the evening when we'd sit out back.

We too had season passes for just this. Not worth it, now(also live 2000 miles away)

Blackstone are a bunch of idiots. I used to work for a company that they acquired. Then they drove the business into the ground. I digress...

Yeah, I would send beer back. I've only done it once or twice where the beer was really off and I was positive that wasn't the case. Clearly a case of dirty lines.

At Freshcraft they had a keg of Black Fox somnambulance that was obviously infected, but it had a nice sourness to it that I rather enjoyed.

Am I the only that thinks "Wah wah, go to a different bar or none all together." The sense of entitlement these days is nausiating

I agree, but I don't think it's because of entitlement. I think businesses have to earn business, and if they don't feel like or can't do what it takes to earn YOUR business, you shouldn't just give it to them.

Lots of people will drink bad beer in bad bars without any complaints. If you don't want bad beer, you are not their target customer, and there are other bars that do want you and your business that you should go to.

I understand the part about dirty lines or off tasting beer.

But

I just laugh at people when their only reason for not enjoying a beer is that there is no head. If they allow something so trivial to ruin an otherwise great experience, then I donot envy their lifestyle.

If you want it poured a certain way, then tell the bartender when you order! Its much easier than sitting on a high horse and complaining about a bar because they pour their beer the way 99% of customers prefer and not the "proper" way.

Its like complaining a beer is cold.

Am I the only that thinks "Wah wah, go to a different bar or none all together." The sense of entitlement these days is nausiating

What? Are you saying it's unreasonable to go into a bar/restraunt/pub, order a beer, and not expect to get one of the following (all discussed here):
- The wrong beer
- Flat beer
- Soapy beer
- Dirty beer

I agree that the our society in general has a lot of issues due to a sense of entitlement - but dammit, if I go into an eating/drinking establishment and pay them so that I can eat and drink, I AM entitled to get exactly what I'm paying them for.

EDIT: Whoops - looks like that got cleared up as I was typing... I agree, sending something back due to not enough head is kinda pushing it. These others though, I'd definitely not say someone would be out of line for refusing.

I agree that the sense of entitlement these days is nauseating! People have such unrealistic expectations.

What? Are you saying it's unreasonable to go into a bar/restraunt/pub, order a beer, and not expect to get one of the following (all discussed here):
- The wrong beer
- Flat beer
- Soapy beer
- Dirty beer

I agree that the our society in general has a lot of issues due to a sense of entitlement - but dammit, if I go into an eating/drinking establishment and pay them so that I can eat and drink, I AM entitled to get exactly what I'm paying them for.

EDIT: Whoops - looks like that got cleared up as I was typing... I agree, sending something back due to not enough head is kinda pushing it. These others though, I'd definitely not say someone would be out of line for refusing.

I agree with the service or off tasting beer! But it is not too hard to just not go back to that bar.

If it is a situation where you are among a party intent of visiting that establishment, then tell a manager your concerns. If the problem is not solved, get a bottled beer or don't give them your business. Takes a lot less effort and produces better results than just whining about it.

I agree that the sense of entitlement these days is nauseating! People have such unrealistic expectations.

Not sure if that is sarcasm or not :cross:

I'm just saying it is up to you where you spend your money. Expecting a bar to serve beer specifically as you like it when it differs from 99% of the rest of their customers is a little rediculous.

Especially if you dont even request anything out of the oridnary and just assume they know you are this big bad beer snob so you deserve different.

Not sure if that is sarcasm or not :cross:

I'm just saying it is up to you where you spend your money. Expecting a bar to serve beer specifically as you like it when it differs from 99% of the rest of their customers is a little rediculous.

Especially if you dont even request anything out of the oridnary and just assume they know you are this big bad beer snob so you deserve different.

No, it's not sarcasm. I agree with you. If a beer has to be poured a certain way for someone to enjoy, then that person should only go to those places that do it right.

Well, here is my view on it:

When ordering draft beer, it's always a good idea to ask for a sample first. That way, if there is something you don't like about it, there's no need to send back a full pint. Of course, I'll still point out any obvious problems to the server/tender. I usually don't care too much about head when drinking at a bar, but I usually ask the tender for "with a small head" when ordering.

If it's a bottle and there is something wrong with it, I'll certainly send it back and request a different beer instead.

If they are super-busy, I cut them some slack and realize that if everyone put in special requests, it would take half an hour to get my order.

If I pay for a beer, and it is bad, I am sending it back. That is not a sense of entitlement, that's getting what I paid for.

Any business owner would rather you speak up and give them a chance to make it right, rather than simply going somewhere else in the future.

I bartend on the weekends and I can assure you I wouldnt be offended. Then again I wouldnt send out a beer with no head or to much.

If I pay for a beer, and it is bad, I am sending it back. That is not a sense of entitlement, that's getting what I paid for.

I don't think anyone is going to disagree with you on that... but what qualifies as a bad beer? And in which cases is it OK to send it back and in which cases are you just being pompous?

Too little head?
Not enough head?
Wrong type of glass?
Too cold?
Too warm?
Too flat?
Too carbonated?

I know this thread divides people into two groups, one I would go to a bar with, and one I would run away from.

_

Too little head?
Not enough head?
Wrong type of glass?
Too cold?
Too warm?
Too flat?
Too carbonated?

1 & 2: This would really be nitpicking. The only beer I might grumble about if there was no head would be a Hefe. Too much head can be a problem though, because you aren't getting the amount of beer you paid for.

3. I would only complain about the wrong glass if it shorted me the amount of beer I was supposed to get.

4. Maybe. If I ordered a stout and it was served at Bud temps, I might get mad.

5. Obviously, any drink can be served too warm for the customer to accept it.

6. Flat? Hell yeah I'm returning it.

7. For me to return an over-carbonated beer it would have to be to the point that the beer was annoying over-carbed, and probably would fall into the "too much head" category anyway.

I once ordered an IPA at a bar, and was told by the waitress "Are you sure that beer is really hoppy and bitter". I told her "yes I know what an IPA is but thank you for your concern". Then she tells me "well let me bring you a sample just in case". I said "sure I won't deny free beer". So she brings me a small glass that smelled and tasted great. So I give her the ok and she brings me back a glass. Immediately as it hits the table I can tell this glass doesn't have that same hoppy smell that just popped out earlier. I take a swig and immediately realize that it's an alcoholic cider instead. I call her back and tell her they gave me the wrong beer. She doesn't believe me and says well here let me bring another sample, maybe you just don't like it. I told her "no I loved the IPA but this is a cider". She brings me the sample anyway which again I love and tell her this. She argues with me that the bartender swears up and down that she poured me an IPA. I tell her no this is a cider you can even smell it and tell the difference, you can even see a color difference from the sample you gave me. She then proceeds to tell me, well our cider is more bubbly then what she just gave me so it couldn't be. I offered her to taste it and try, then got up walked to the bar and noticed that yes there is a cider on tap right next to the IPA. Finally she appologizes and finally brings me back an IPA.

A bad beer is one that the customer does not enjoy. Yes, it is entirely subjective. But you want to keep your customers, so you satisfy them. Except when you decide a customer is not worth your effort and you pitch them out...

I know this thread divides people into two groups, one I would go to a bar with, and one I would run away from.

_

This.

I mean, if I go to a bar with friends, I want them to recognize that beer should have the proper amount of head, and they should be offended and send it back if there isn't enough, and I'd run away if they accepted a less than perfect beer......oh, or did you mean it the other way around? :p

Back