Semi-traditional Sahti

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclebrazzie

Reaction score
Brewing a Sahti this week, thanks to the inlaws who'll be lugging along a bunch of juniper branches from their holiday in France.

Recipe as follows:

8.8 lbs Pale Maris Otter
4.4 lbs Munich type I
2.2 lbs rye malt

Single step infusion mash at 154F, using water in which I'll have steeped the juniper branches with some extra dried berries if needed.
I'm planning on doughing in in the morning, and leaving the mash until I'm done repainting the bed room. 4-6 hours, say.

With juniper branches inserted under the false bottom, lauter and sparge until clear, again using juniper-infused water for sparging.

Another deviation from tradition: I'll do a short boil, with about 10 IBU worth of low alpha hops (Saaz, prolly). This for sanitary reasons which I'm hoping won't force me to either drink 4 gallons of Sahti within two days, or drink increasingly sour Sahti for the next couple of weeks and eventually dump the rest.

Cool and pitch fresh baker's yeast (one half of those grey cube things).

Allow to finish primary at room temp to allow ester formation of the yeast, then rack to secondary and let settle. Bottle when fermentation is complete, without bottling sugar so it remains more or less flat.

Should yield an 10% abv flat beer with pronounced juniper characteristics.

Anyone have 2cents to spare about this one?

Follow-up, in case rats' asses are being given.

Brewed this on Saturday.

I changed the malt bill and swapped about 2 lbs of Munich for the same amount of Caramunich.

Mash liquour smelled wonderfully delicately of piney juniper. Nothing at all like the harsh medicinal tang of dried berries.

Had the stuckest sparge since the invention of stuck sparges (probably milled my grains too finely) and made a complete mess of the garden which made the slugs very happy though.

At long last drew off about 4 gallons of 1.065 wort which I boiled for 15 minutes with an ounce of Saaz. Ended up at 1.070 wich was way below the 1.100 goal but lacking malt extract, that had to suffice.

The bread yeast was super lively and churned through the wort in about 2 days. Still a little bit of activity in the airlock but it's definitely nearing the end already.

Not picking up any juniper in either smell of flavour (yet?) but the yeast is giving me ****loads of banana esters.

I'm leaving this to finish for a couple more days, then I'm racking and cellaring to clear for a week or so, and then I'm (untraditionally) bottling this baby (the fraction I'm not drinking as-is, that is).

Back