Semi-Imperial American Stout - How Much Specialty Grain Is Too Much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lateralus

Reaction score
So I'm working on a recipe for a strong winter stout. I have a long list of malts which I would like to utilize, but I'm having trouble slimming the list down to a practical level. I'm not sure how much specialty grain is too much. I've heard that anything above 20% of the total grain bill is pushing it. Is this a good rule of thumb, even for this style? It should be rich and dark and smooth but still drinkable and not overly cloying, with about 7 to 7.5% ABV. Is this reasonable? So far I have this sketched out:

Batch size: 5 gal

Base malt: 13 lbs
9 lb maris otter 2-row
3 lb dark munich
1 lb 6-row

Specialty malt: 4 lbs
1 lb carafa II
12 oz roasted barley
8 oz flaked barley
6 oz black patent malt
8 oz coffee malt
8 oz crystal 120
6 oz victory malt

I've already trimmed these from the list:

8 oz chocolate malt
6 oz carapils
6 oz gambrinus honey malt
6 oz flaked oats
6 oz lactose

I want a deep and complex malt profile, which is why I have so many different types of specialty malt, but is it too many? Is it too high a percentage of the total grist?

How much are my specialty grains going to contribute to gravity points? From what I understand, dark roasted malts do not contribute much compared to base malt like 2-row. So I can't back off on my 2-row and rely on specialty grain to achieve my target OG, correct? Or does it depend on the type of specialty grain?

Pale 6-row is very high in enzymes which is good for high adjunct recipes. Is this something I should use? If so, how much should I use? Should I just drop it? Should I put something else in its place?

Is it worth it to use Maris Otter instead of Rahr American 2-row since I'm already using so many specialty malts?

I haven't even really put much thought into the hopping yet. I have vague ideas out perhaps 1 oz of Nugget at 60 min, then 1 oz of Willamette at 30 min. Or perhaps EKG instead of Willamette. Does this sound OK? Is 2 oz of hops enough to balance all this malt?

What should I think about adding, deleting, or modifying in this recipe? Does it sound good? Does it sound hopeless?

Think about why you're adding each ingredient.

Why the carafa II, for example? I don't know what coffee malt is, so I can't help you there. Why the victory malt? First of all, any "toasted' will be lost under the roasted barley, and it's only a few ounces anyway so there isn't any point in my opinion. Why the 120L?

If you have a good reason for using the carafa II, the 120L, and the coffee malt, then by all means use it! But think about what they bring, and why you're using the malts you choose.

You don't need the 6-row, with the MO and Munich malt.

Think about why you're adding each ingredient.

I'll explain my reasoning for each. I'm not arguing; please correct me if I'm wrong about any of them. Just trying to learn.

Why the carafa II, for example?

AFAIK, it's a debittered chocolate malt. So it will give a nice chocolaty, coffeeish flavor and aroma similar to UK chocolate, but with more smoothness because it's been dehusked.

I don't know what coffee malt is, so I can't help you there.

It's made by Simpsons; it seems to have a very nice aroma and flavor when I've worked with it, although it seems fairly similar to Carafa. I could skip it.

Why the victory malt? First of all, any "toasted' will be lost under the roasted barley, and it's only a few ounces anyway so there isn't any point in my opinion.

Good call. I hadn't really thought of that. I'll delete that.

Why the 120L?

I want some crystal malt to increase the body a bit, improve the head retention a little, and to add a touch of sweetness. I chose 120L because it's my favorite crystal malt - I really like the dark raisiny, pruny character of it more than the lighter caramely stuff like 60L.

Will 8oz be enough to get me there?

You don't need the 6-row, with the MO and Munich malt.

OK.

Thanks for the help.

Back