Selling beer from home

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingViking

Reaction score
I've been wondering about this for awhile now. I know you need certain licenses and everything to be able to sell your beer. And in NJ where I'm at you're suppose to have a license just to home brew. But I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to get the brewery licenses for your house/garage and then sell your beer legally?

if you want to sell homebrew, you have to go through every step it takes to become a regular, licensed, brewery. whatever that means in your state.

IN most states, even if you get all the proper licencing, you still can't sell your own beer from home. You additionally have to have a commercial building dedicated to brewing and be subject to FDA sanitation inspections and standards.

IN most states, even if you get all the proper licencing, you still can't sell your own beer from home. You additionally have to have a commercial building dedicated to brewing and be subject to FDA sanitation inspections and standards.
We had a woman from the Oregon Liquor Control Commission come speak at one of our brew club meetings. She explained that if you designate part of your home as a brew pub, the OLCC and TTB can access that part of your home any time they want.

It doesn't matter. ANY medium of exchange for homebrew is illegal.......Bartering, trading, contests prizes, etc....it's all against the federal statutes that legalized the hobby in 1978.

And we don't talk about those activities on this forum, it's against the TOS.

You cant even legally give it away in some states. Pretty crazy. I do see that in my state you can brew at home and brew for entering contests. Laws are funny things. But thanks for making me aware of it guys. Glad I don't give it away or anything like that. As evidenced by my ever increasing waist line.

Thanks for the info Revvy. I had heard from one of my old friends that he knew a women who's husband had started doing that but that was in the 90s soo. But I was curious if anyone had any info on the subject. Kinda confused bout all the deleted posts but yea whatever. Thanks all

Back