Self-closing Perlick?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hiya friends,

I'm putting together my first keezer and I'm stuck trying to decide which beer faucets to choose. I really want Perlick 630s for both their stellar reputation and the simple internal construction, but I also really want the self-closing spring option that Intertap offers. I've read that the Intertap spring may work in the 630ss but just looking for confirmation that this is both true and won't cause me any problems down the line. Seems to me the Intertap spring length is designed to work with the sliding shuttle in their faucet, while the Perlick 630 has no shuttle but a pivoting ball. Will the spring be too short? will it seat properly on the back side of the sealing ball? I just know that if I forego the self-closing option I will sooner or later lose an entire keg on the floor and I can't risk damaging the wood flooring in our place.

Thanks in advance!
Jayjay

fwiw, I installed the Intertap springs in my 525SS Perls a couple of years ago and love 'em.
I would expect them to work just fine with the 630 faucets as well as they're so similar...

Cheers!

day trippr: is this the spring you have in your Perlicks?

Attachments

• 0E78D190-E5C5-4B33-B4B5-AE55B4D39F38.jpeg
    0E78D190-E5C5-4B33-B4B5-AE55B4D39F38.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 217
Thank you for the info @day_trippr !

Has anybody actually used the intertap spring in a 630SS?? Also, I saw an intertap video that mentions potential leaking problems in the 630 caused by the forward floating oring.... Is this leaking concern overblown, patently false, or compensated for by a self-closing spring? I like the Perlick brand but they are costly and seem to have far fewer options than Intertap, although apart from the spring I feel I can do without the exchangeable nozzles, etc. Also, I generally dislike the sliding contact and larger surface area of the Intertap shuttle design vs. a simple pivoting ball in the Perlick 630.

FWIW, I had leaking problems because of the "wrecking ball" and floating forward o-ring in the Perlick even without a spring. I switched to the Intertap and much prefer the shuttle design; positive seal every time. The spring works great.

I have the 650SS. If I close the flow control and close the tap is does not leak. If I set the flow control and only close the tap it leaks slightly.

Last edited:
The 630 is not an FC faucet. That would be their 650.

I've been running five first-gen 525ss faucets for over a decade now and with periodic cleaning and an occasional O-ring refresh (like, every five years) they have been wonderful performers. No leaks/dribbles/sticking. And the addition of the springs makes them almost foolproof for visitors.

The difference between the 525 and 630 is minor (they shortened and steepened the spout on the latter), they function the same, and should perform equally well...

Cheers!

The 630 is not an FC faucet. That would be their 650.

I've been running five first-gen 525ss faucets for over a decade now and with periodic cleaning and an occasional O-ring refresh (like, every five years) they have been wonderful performers. No leaks/dribbles/sticking. And the addition of the springs makes them almost foolproof for visitors.

The difference between the 525 and 630 is minor (they shortened and steepened the spout on the latter), they function the same, and should perform equally well...

Cheers!
I'm really starting to suspect that Perlick's floating o-ring seating/leaking issues would be solved by the addition of the Intertap spring.

I don't think there actually is an issue, a clean faucet and 10-11 psi of hydraulic pressure is actually pretty good at keeping the faucets sealed tight.
That said, the springs do provide a more "automatic" closure to where the hydraulic pressure actually happens...

Cheers!

I'm really starting to suspect that Perlick's floating o-ring seating/leaking issues would be solved by the addition of the Intertap spring.
The problem is the "floating" part, combined with the fact that the swinging ball comes in on an arc rather than a straight approach. The ball may push the o-ring up against the orifice slightly off center, so the seal is imperfect. A spring will do nothing to correct this intrinsic design issue, it will just hold the o-ring very firmly in place, out of position and leaking.

The problem is the "floating" part, combined with the fact that the swinging ball comes in on an arc rather than a straight approach. The ball may push the o-ring up against the orifice slightly off center, so the seal is imperfect. A spring will do nothing to correct this intrinsic design issue, it will just hold the o-ring very firmly in place, out of position and leaking.
interesting point..

...first keezer and I'm stuck trying to decide which beer faucets to choose. I really want Perlick 630s for both their stellar reputation and the simple internal construction, but I also really want the self-closing spring option that Intertap offers....

I know you said you want Perlicks, but I'll put in a word for Intertap. I've been running four of them (with flow control) and have not had any problems. I haven't had a need to disassemble one, but I did anyway just to familiarize myself with it. It's a good design, and I expect it to be reliable for the long term.

The flow control is really handy for the first pour. I throttle down the flow for the first couple of ounces to give the faucet time to cool, then open up the flow to maximum for the rest of the pour. That really helps to minimize foaming on the first pour, when the faucet is warm. The flow control is also great to have for filling bottles & growlers from a faucet.

Flow control and spring return of the faucet handle are mutually exclusive, you can't have both. I debated that for a while, and decided that flow control would be more useful. I made the right decision, the flow controls are nice to have. On the Intertaps the flow control will completely stop the flow, so I use it as a secondary shutoff, as insurance against my cat knocking a faucet handle when I'm not there.

I abhor the idea of hassling with long loops of hoses every time I want to change a keg, so I designed my keezer so that the lines wouldn't be in the way. I used short shanks and 90 degree adapters so the lines coming off the shanks didn't create an obstruction.

After some experimentation I found I could use 7ft lines and still get great pours (even with the flow control wide open). That's considerably shorter than what the calculators and conventional wisdom say is needed. I attribute that to some built-in flow resistance from the 90 degree adapters and the flow control faucets.

All in all, I've been very happy with the keezer. Here's a pic of the inside.

IMG_20190606_172848_733.jpg

Th old standard or Ventmatic has only one good thing about it, the simple, reliable action of the shuttle. Perlick solves the sanitation and cleaning issues of those with the forward seal, but the action is apparently simple, but in practice unreliable. Intertap really takes the advantages of each and eliminates the shortcomings of each. Best of both worlds, and if there's a couple more parts than in a Perlick, it's worth it. Not hard to disassemble and clean at all. Get the Intertap SS, you'll be pleased, just note that the self closing spring is incompatible with the flow control version. The flow control ball is in between the spring seated in the shank and the shuttle, which the spring is supposed to push forward.

I've had the perlicks previously and they worked great. When I added more taps I decided to switch to intertaps as I liked the different attachments and they also work great. I'd probably recommend the intertaps at this point though as there better priced and have the attachments. Cheers

To be clear, I have no doggies in this hunt. Don't care if one goes with Perlick, Intertap, CMB, whatever.
As long as it isn't Kegco!

Cheers! :D

I've used Perlick 425, Perlick 525, Vent-Matic Ultra Flo, Intertap and Ultratap. All are OK, Vent-Matic and Ultratap (which is at least 99.9% Vent-Matic) has the best pour. Perlick 425 also quute good and super cool. I think Ultratap is the best availble option.

Ok, but I was thinking more of "Have you had problems with <make/model> faucet?"
I expect your poll will be overwhelmingly in favor of Intertap from the value proposition alone...

Cheers!
You know what, I can already read faucet reviews till the cows come home. I'm more interested in individual preferences for one brand over another. The price difference isn't that great in the context of a keezer build and I think other factors play a bigger role in the decision making process. IME, passionate enthusiasts will judiciously skimp elsewhere, i.e. choosing pinlock kegs over ball locks and opt for a single-body regulator vs. per-keg secondaries rather than settle for cheap faucets. Faucets are afterall the primary day-to-day touchpoint.

Last edited:
I know you said you want Perlicks, but I'll put in a word for Intertap. I've been running four of them (with flow control) and have not had any problems. I haven't had a need to disassemble one, but I did anyway just to familiarize myself with it. It's a good design, and I expect it to be reliable for the long term.

The flow control is really handy for the first pour. I throttle down the flow for the first couple of ounces to give the faucet time to cool, then open up the flow to maximum for the rest of the pour. That really helps to minimize foaming on the first pour, when the faucet is warm. The flow control is also great to have for filling bottles & growlers from a faucet.

Flow control and spring return of the faucet handle are mutually exclusive, you can't have both. I debated that for a while, and decided that flow control would be more useful. I made the right decision, the flow controls are nice to have. On the Intertaps the flow control will completely stop the flow, so I use it as a secondary shutoff, as insurance against my cat knocking a faucet handle when I'm not there.

I abhor the idea of hassling with long loops of hoses every time I want to change a keg, so I designed my keezer so that the lines wouldn't be in the way. I used short shanks and 90 degree adapters so the lines coming off the shanks didn't create an obstruction.

After some experimentation I found I could use 7ft lines and still get great pours (even with the flow control wide open). That's considerably shorter than what the calculators and conventional wisdom say is needed. I attribute that to some built-in flow resistance from the 90 degree adapters and the flow control faucets.

All in all, I've been very happy with the keezer. Here's a pic of the inside.

View attachment 640787
That is some serious OCD beauty the way you manage your beerlines. I really like the idea of shutting off via flow control, even more foolproof than a self-closing spring plus it adds the ability to tweak the flow for a perfect pour.

I had Ventmatic and 425 and replaced them for Intertap. They were all good, but I like the accessories of Intertap and simplicity of maintaining only one brand.

Read the reviews on NB. One report of a faucet that wouldn't seal, and another of a closed faucet starting to leak.
Only based on my experience. (Not sure what NB is, but the nasty KL vs KK battle in social media makes it a bit difficult to know which reviews to trust...)

I've decided to start my keezer build with one each Perlick and Intertap non FC faucets and will run them side-by-side with self-closing springs installed. In a few months when I'm ready to add two more faucets, I'll choose the brand based on my experiences with these first two, and likely change out one of the originals in order to have all 4 the same. I will report back periodically with my impressions.

I gather all the reviews he's read left him quite solidly in the middle ;)
There are comparos out there, fwiw. Generally the interior finish of the Perlicks is considered superior to the Intertaps, and the mechanics of the former are typically judged smoother than the latter.

But in the end pretty much all confirm they're both solid faucets with the edge usually given to the Intertap for the price and the interchangeable spouts...

Cheers!

I've decided to start my keezer build with one each Perlick and Intertap non FC faucets and will run them side-by-side with self-closing springs installed. In a few months when I'm ready to add two more faucets, I'll choose the brand based on my experiences with these first two, and likely change out one of the originals in order to have all 4 the same. I will report back periodically with my impressions.
Pinging @Jayjay1976 for results of his faucet trial, since I too was looking for someone who had done this comparison! Especially interested in your results of the Perlick + Intertap spring attempt. I too am terrified of a bumped tap that leaks an entire keg onto my floor...! Thx

Pinging @Jayjay1976 for results of his faucet trial, since I too was looking for someone who had done this comparison! Especially interested in your results of the Perlick + Intertap spring attempt. I too am terrified of a bumped tap that leaks an entire keg onto my floor...! Thx
I did have a leak at one point from one of the perlicks not sealing properly, after that I added intertap closing springs to both perlicks, that works well and I haven't had any more mishaps.

I'd be interested in adding a self closing spring to my 630ss. I have both the 650 and 630 I've had the 630 for a few years without any leaks. But then again maybe I don't since I've never had a problem anyway. Decisions decisions...

Perlicks are easier to clean and have a nicer finish on the inside than intertap, plus they are just plain prettier IMO. I only remove the spouts on the intertaps to clean them, so point for perlick for having fewer parts.

I'd be interested in adding a self closing spring to my 630ss. I have both the 650 and 630 I've had the 630 for a few years without any leaks. But then again maybe I don't since I've never had a problem anyway. Decisions decisions...

Take a close look at the Perlick shanks. They may not be compatible with Intertap faucets and springs. Not sure about 650 and 630 styles, but I have two 525ss (circa 2014) and the shank would not accept the Intertap spring. Also, the Intertap faucet would not connect to the Perlick shank. The attached photo shows Perlick shank on the left and an Intertap shank/spring on the right. There are obvious differences between my Perlick and Intertap shanks, as seen in the picture. So see if your 630/650 Perlicks are compatible with the Intertap hardware.

20211005_150346.jpg

Back