Seeking bikers that brew, 1%'s welcome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey you wanna organize something down there in tn thats cool! BUUUUUT i'd rather do it on private property or with full support of the parkservice.

Also, i believe here in KY we could get a full blown homebrew festival going. dont sweat the law, they still do moonshine festivals here. just cant sellit.

I ride and have been known to brew some... :D

444900193_SedM4-L.jpg

444900455_nYeFY-L.jpg

Ahoy hoy,
This is Old Number Seven.
When Hondas were the norm in the 70s, I rode a 57 Panhead. Now Harleys are as common as chevy 350 2bbl small blocks, so I found something else outside the box.....For the uniformed, this is a Royal Enfield Bullet 65. Only bike I ever had that caused good looking women to approach me to comment on the beauty of my ride :rockin: A real mans bike. If your not mechanically inclined, dont bother with an enfield. Drum brakes, points, generator. I had to import the American made solo seat from England! This one has been modded to death by me to return it to its 50s spendor. Touring around the interior of Alaska is a hoot on this baby!
The gaudy japan style turn signals were the first to go....
A great day to you all!
Let those who ride, decide!
Death, before Disco!

2005%20(113).jpg

I heard a lot of bikers who stick to harley style "Chopper" bikes hate crotch rockets.

Is this true?

I think they just hate them because they know that a high-displacement racing bike would likely smoke one of their hogs very easily.

I heard a lot of bikers who stick to harley style "Chopper" bikes hate crotch rockets.

Is this true?

I think they just hate them because they know that a high-displacement racing bike would likely smoke one of their hogs very easily.

This can be true but like with everything it depends on the people in question. As far as speed...everyone has a different definition of fast and a good road is a more formidable equalizer than one might think but in almost all cases a good rider on a crappy bike will still smoke a crappy rider on a great bike.

I am on the sportbike side of things with a Kawasaki Z1000. The bike is the reason I put on full gear and attempt to get lost most weekends, the beer is what brings me out of the twisties as the big yellow ball falls from the sky.

Don't usually have time for rallies (my little bike's not comfortable for long rides) and I can bearly find time to brew but I thought I'd throw my hat in

Interesting thread

...I think they just hate them because they know that a high-displacement racing bike would likely smoke one of their hogs very easily.

Not true.

I never met a cruiser biker who road because they wanted to go fast, so no teeth in that comment.

What responsible bikers do disdain, (cruisers and sport bikers alike) are the idiots who decide that public highways are the place for stunting, racing, weaving in and out of traffic and generally threatening the safety of motorists and giving motorcyclists a bad rap. It so happens that the vast majority of those riders are on “crotch rockets”. There’s an understanding and a deep mutual respect among bikers that crosses over brand or style. There is no respect for those who place their own lives and the lives of those around them in danger through irresponsible actions.

That might be why there is a sense of disrespect. But that disrespect is aimed at the rider…not what’s between their legs.

Not true.

I never met a cruiser biker who road because they wanted to go fast, so no teeth in that comment.

What responsible bikers do disdain, (cruisers and sport bikers alike) are the idiots who decide that public highways are the place for stunting, racing, weaving in and out of traffic and generally threatening the safety of motorists and giving motorcyclists a bad rap. It so happens that the vast majority of those riders are on “crotch rockets”. There’s an understanding and a deep mutual respect among bikers that crosses over brand or style. There is no respect for those who place their own lives and the lives of those around them in danger through irresponsible actions.

That might be why there is a sense of disrespect. But that disrespect is aimed at the rider…not what’s between their legs.

Most of the people your talking about are also in flip flops and shorts, so they are easy to spot, but that doesn't stop other riders, cops, and a big percentage of the general public from lumping them in and generalizing that behavior as something that all sport bike riders do (again not everyone, but it does happen more than you may know).

The funny thing is, and statistics back this up, that the group that is quickly growing to be the most dangerous (to themselves and others) is the mid 40s+ crowd. Many of them go and buy a 1600cc cruiser to ride a few miles on sunny weekends, even though they have no business on a bike at all then refuse to take classes and practice enough to learn proper control. They are just harder for the non-rider to spot than the guy on one wheel though :)

Anyway, that was all an aside because it is a topic that is a major pet peeve of mine as a sport biker that keeps both wheels down and has barely been over 80. I can tell that the people in this thread are all about the bikes regardless of the type which doesn't surprise me based on the forum membership as a whole.

Very well said. I know several in this group myself. And they wonder why I take off for a week at a time to "do my thing" rather than hang around town and ride from bar to bar with them.

The funny thing is, and statistics back this up, that the group that is quickly growing to be the most dangerous (to themselves and others) is the mid 40s+ crowd. Many of them go and buy a 1600cc cruiser to ride a few miles on sunny weekends, even though they have no business on a bike at all then refuse to take classes and practice enough to learn proper control. They are just harder for the non-rider to spot than the guy on one wheel though :)

I guess I'm one of the rare ones. Only ride cruisers (save the 1981 CB 750 Custom that I started on) but everytime I go in a bike shop I have the same routine...walk past the cruisers, wish big while looking at Gold Wings, then drool over the sport bikes. One of these days....

well put biermuncher and jonnio.

i have a cruiser and a touring bike and would love to add a sport bike to the stable when the time is right :)

others i ride with also use their bikes as their main means of transportation and are also riding for fun a couple times per week. sometimes we take our group to a local college parking lot on a sundays and practice slow maneuvers and tight turns.

we'll take our cruisers and join local sport bike groups on rides. in the twisties, it's more about skill and experience, vs how fast your bike will go. ok, maybe a little of how far your bike can lean before you're scraping metal too =D

that's beyond the point though. i was trying to say that i like all bikes, and to stereotype a biker is like stereotyping anyone else. i guess it's what you're definition of 'biker' is also. mine is anyone who rides a motorcycle.

Is this true?

My wife and I both have Harleys. I love Harleys and hope to have one my whole life. I also like crotch rockets. The guys that I mostly ride with are on sport and sport/touring bikes. One is a Honda and the other is a Triumph. Those are damn fine bikes and I have no doubt they can smoke me on those things, but we don't ride to race, we just ride for the sake of riding.

I also have a Kawasaki KX500 and a Honda CR250 dirt bike in the stable so that might make me a little outside the norm of Harley riders.

I love riding and I love beer (at the end of the ride). I've been known to brew a few and would be interested in a get together, although I'd be a little more likely to make it if it were west of the Mississippi. Here's me and the wife near Silverton, CO a couple years ago. Mine's on the right.

mtn.JPG

Well i see the thread is still alive and kickin. Ahh the debate about why cruisers hate sportbikes and vice versa! Whos bad, whose safe who are the turds. This always comes up. Truth is most of your cruiser guys are older, we didnt have these speed machines when we were 19 or we woud have had them instead of harleys or gold wings or viragos. Now we grew up and the need for speed is not so strong. However, this isnt entirely true, i god buds on crotch rockets, metrics, harleys, triumphs, and even a ridley. Point is, RIDE and stoplookin at whats between the legs of th guy next to ya.

Well i see the thread is still alive and kickin. Ahh the debate about why cruisers hate sportbikes and vice versa! Whos bad, whose safe who are the turds. This always comes up. Truth is most of your cruiser guys are older, we didnt have these speed machines when we were 19 or we woud have had them instead of harleys or gold wings or viragos. Now we grew up and the need for speed is not so strong. However, this isnt entirely true, i god buds on crotch rockets, metrics, harleys, triumphs, and even a ridley. Point is, RIDE and stoplookin at whats between the legs of th guy next to ya.

Yeah, hopefully my post didn't come off wrong. I have no ill will towards other riders (until you prove yourself to be an idiot :D ) Plus, as much as I love my sport bike I might be switching to a cruiser before long. My back has been giving me fits and I don't quite have the money for my dream ride.
09SPBK_FJR_K_B_001_e9520182.jpg

Ill be the first to admit I have a need for speed. Once Im out of town and away from traffic the speedometer usually flies past 100mph. But thats only because out here in the desert we have hundreds of miles of roads going nowhere it seems.

But for the most part M-F on my commute Im so responsible it almost sucks.

You never met anyone who rides a M109?

I've been enamored by motorcycles for years; I'd love to start riding but wouldn't even know where to start.

I'd love to go to a bike rally sometime and meet folks from HBT and enjoy some good brew at the end of the day.

Bike needs a lot of work though, just got it started again a week ago, I was in an accident in may '07 and the bike has sat since then. I need to get the proper parts ordered and get it back together before summer.

1980 KZ750 (Yes it is one year older than me) (Pictured in February)

KZ7503-15-2007pic3.jpg

Ill be the first to admit I have a need for speed. Once Im out of town and away from traffic the speedometer usually flies past 100mph. But thats only because out here in the desert we have hundreds of miles of roads going nowhere it seems.

I have the same problem. There are a lot of desert roads that are fun to open up the throttle on with no other people in sight. I would like to get a sport bike, but I don't think I've mellowed enough to be responsible and keep the speed down. Maybe in another ten years I can get one and not be too irresponsible. Right now, I can't afford the insurance, speeding tickets and traffic school. :cross:

You never met anyone who rides a M109?

Those 109s are sweet.

As much as I like the cruiser aspect of my Valk I/S, I also like it's horsepower. I have a stretch of road on my commute that practically begs me to open 'r up and hit 120. And who am I to say no :D

I have a buddy that bought a stolen-then-found Hayabusa and fixed it up, but he's not that much into "real" speed, so he lets me open it up once in a while. I thought I liked to go fast until I hit 160, and that was fast enough for me.

I've been enamored by motorcycles for years; I'd love to start riding but wouldn't even know where to start.

Go to a Honda Dealer many if not most can hook you up with a riding class that includes a bike to ride. There you can not only get the fundamentals but see if you like riding w/o spending a fortune on buying a bike.

Go to a Honda Dealer many if not most can hook you up with a riding class that includes a bike to ride. There you can not only get the fundamentals but see if you like riding w/o spending a fortune on buying a bike.

Good to know! I'll have to check that out.

:mug:

You could also do a search for MSF in your area (that's Motorcycle Safety Foundation). They do a lot of state sponsored riding classes. You show up and they provide the fundamentals, a helmet, and a bike to learn on. That's how I learned to ride and it was quite a bit of fun.

...Motorcycle Safety Fuondation...They do a lot of state sponsored riding classes...That's how I learned to ride and it was quite a bit of fun.

I think this course should be mandatory.

I already knew how to ride growing up on a dirt bike...but was off for more than 15 years. I promised the SWMBO I wouldn't consider getting back on without taking the course. It was the most fun I ever had putting 18 miles on a bike over two days.

I use the skills they taught me every single time I ride. Definitely worth the $200 +/- it cost.

I think this course should be mandatory.

I already knew how to ride growing up on a dirt bike...but was off for more than 15 years. I promised the SWMBO I wouldn't consider getting back on without taking the course. It was the most fun I ever had putting 18 miles on a bike over two days.

I use the skills they taught me every single time I ride. Definitely worth the $200 +/- it cost.

That is one of the only things Illinois does well, it has free motorcycle safety courses. I took one in September and it was a lot of fun and I learned a few things as well.

I brew and ride and looking at all these bikes i just wanted to add my bike to the list. I saw that pic of the bike with a keg on it....It was beautiful :)

I tried adding a picture but i couldnt get it to work to well, anyways its a 2008 kawasaki vulcan 900lt, red and black, with added chrome, cruiser, it makes me happy

We will be attending these rallies...

Hawg Holler
Hogrock.Com
Home visiting not camping
HogRocktoberfest

Hope to make plans to see some of you before hand. We trailer to all rallies so we can have all the amenities we enjoy...electricity, grill, and a place to get out of the rain. Along with all the beer and food we bring for the weekend.

Nice bike BierMuncher. And I don't say that just because I drive a C50 as well

Lemme ax you dis, n' maybe I axed you dis before, but...

When you turn your front wheel all the way left and all the way right, are the handle bars closer to the fuel tank on one side than the other?

Bikers and brewers. There's no escaping us. We are everywhere.

I've transported home brew and home brew supplies via motorcycle. I like to pretend I'm bootlegging when I do.

:mug:

Back