Seeking beta testers for automation control application

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi HBT crew,

I am working with a developer on a new Arduino based control application suited to complex small automated breweries, and I am looking for a few beta testers who would be willing to:

• Implement the application in a real-world environment
  • Report back bugs/issues
  • Provide constructive feedback, usability reports, feature needs, etc.

Basic requirements to be a beta tester:
  • Have or currently building an automated brewery (ranging from single vessel PID control/pump/electric (or switched gas) heating to multi-vessel fully automated brewery & fermentation control)
  • Have or be willing to use an Arduino as the hardware controller

In return, these testers will receive continued use of the application w/updates, a high degree of support building or modifying their hardware and electronics, and in most circumstances modern Arduino hardware provided at no cost.

Please PM me if you meet the requirements and are interested in participating.

Interested... how much effort required on our part? I have been toying with upgrading my system to Arduino based but I can see the big hurdles.
Currently I have a 2 vessel (HLT/BK & MLT) electric brewery, single 240VAC pump, PID control.
One point I would like to implement is to incorporate flow metering into the HLT (batch sparging so will meter in the strike water, heat and strike, then meter in the sparge water).
Cheers :D

Interested... how much effort required on our part? I have been toying with upgrading my system to Arduino based but I can see the big hurdles.
Currently I have a 2 vessel (HLT/BK & MLT) electric brewery, single 240VAC pump, PID control.
One point I would like to implement is to incorporate flow metering into the HLT (batch sparging so will meter in the strike water, heat and strike, then meter in the sparge water).
Cheers :D

Well, you would need to handle all the wiring! If you have or are building to control with Arduino, this may be a good fit. If you have to break an egg to make an omlette, it may not make sense, because if the application doesn't meet your needs, you will not necessarily have a fall-back.

PM me if you would like to discuss further.

Well, you would need to handle all the wiring! If you have or are building to control with Arduino, this may be a good fit. If you have to break an egg to make an omlette, it may not make sense, because if the application doesn't meet your needs, you will not necessarily have a fall-back.

PM me if you would like to discuss further.

Haha, fair enough. I guess what I meant was one of my main hurdles from committing to my planned upgrade is the daunting thought of the code. While I have some scratching of Arduino code for various prototypes of different ideas writing one all inclusive control system does seem a bit overwhelming - but if this is what you guys are thinking of I am keen.
Are you looking a custom boards or straight up arduino?

Haha, fair enough. I guess what I meant was one of my main hurdles from committing to my planned upgrade is the daunting thought of the code. While I have some scratching of Arduino code for various prototypes of different ideas writing one all inclusive control system does seem a bit overwhelming - but if this is what you guys are thinking of I am keen.
Are you looking a custom boards or straight up arduino?

Straight-up Arduino. You would not need to write any code, it's already written. You would need to handle wiring only.

I would be interested if I can swap between the arduino and my BCS easily. That can be done with a little proto board shield for the arduino. However, the UI is where my questions come into play. Can this be controlled completely over the web, or would I need to install an LCD and buttons/dials to control it. I'm not interested in building a new control panel and I have no room to add any displays. I already have 4 of the 7 segment displays installed.

Straight-up Arduino. You would not need to write any code, it's already written. You would need to handle wiring only.

Awesome - as with others I have a few different Arduinos collecting dust at the moment.
Keen to see more info - user interface, inputs/outputs, etc.

I would be interested in trying something else myself. Currently I have a 20 gallon electric biab system

Back