Sediment taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nashbrewer

Reaction score
I asked this in the Newb corner and it was skimmed over.
I'm just wanting a post of a yeast experience with the taste of the sediment in the bottle.

Nottingham - bitter, very yeast oriented flavor. Ruins beer flavor profile if poured badly.

Etc.

Most of us leave the sediment back in the bottle when we pour....And some folks drink the yeast and would probably disagree with you and enjoy the taste of notty yeast.

I have tasted a lot of sediment from some muntons yeast and some wyeast american wheat. The muntons was undrinkable and the american wheat was not good, but not unbarable, can't really describe the flavors though.

I have been looking for a very neutral tasting sediment, because I frequently bring brew over to a friends house, and my primary means of transportation is a bike.

That's basically what I'm looking for as well Wakadaka. There is a lot of information on the flavor profiles yeast can impart during fermentation but there isn't very much available for the taste of the sediment. I generally try my best to not pour the yeast in with the beer when using Notty yeast. But for those of my friends/family that are not initiated into homebrew pouring I feel I must baby sit their drinking to make sure they don't gulp down a bunch of yeast nasty and decided it is bad cause they didn't pour it right. To avoid this I was looking for communal knowledge and experience on sediment flavors instead of buying every yeast I can and testing it manually. I understand many may dodge the yeast at the bottom, but *The more you know*(NBC music) can help with decisions. :) I figure there is only one reasonable way to figure this out. And would be for everyone to give their 2 cents of experience. I sometimes like drinking the Notty yeast myself, it is bitter and yeasty which isn't too bad, but it definitely changes the flavor profile of a beer that is what I was really meaning.

I have been looking for a very neutral tasting sediment, because I frequently bring brew over to a friends house, and my primary means of transportation is a bike.

The longer you chill your beer the tighter the yeast cake is. A beer in the fridge for a week will be tighter than if it wss just chilled overnight. I've had beers in my fridge that were there for 3 months and the yeast cake was like cement and you could upend the bottles They would survive your bike trio.

Also I have very little sediment in my bottles to begin with, simply by using a long primary.

I have tasted a lot of sediment from some muntons yeast and some wyeast american wheat. The muntons was undrinkable and the american wheat was not good, but not unbarable, can't really describe the flavors though.

I hope you got a big trunk...cuz I'm gonna put my bike in it!! :D

With gas prices these days, I WISH I could use a bike as my primary means of transportation. It would surely save me money for yeast and grain!!

Back on topic, I haven't noticed much sediment flavor at all from S-05. Thats what I ALWAYS seem to use, but plan to branch out this summer.

Thanks Chapa, I'll try S-05 out on my next brew and compare to Notty. :)

Try WLP007, there willl be far less yeast in suspension and after carbonation there will be very, very little yeast on the bottom and it will be stuck to the bottom of the bottle like glue.

Or if your having lots of problems with sediment get a kegging setup and fill bottles with a beergun or counterpressure filler :). Sorry couldn't resist. Really though I don't think your going to find a yeast that tastes good if a lot of it gets in your glass. Most yeast just tastes.....yeasty. The only thing you can really do to help I would think would be to use a yeast with good flocculation and make sure not to get too much of it in the bottling bucket when racking.

Also I have very little sediment in my bottles to begin with, simply by using a long primary.

Yeppers. Leave it in primary longer, cold crash a couple days before bottling, and/or use gelatin to have less sediment to begin with. I usually only get what looks like just a fine layer of dust on the bottom of my bottles.

Back