Sediment in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hgdsraj

Reaction score
Hi

I have three beers (two bottled, one in secondary) and found that two of them (porter and IPA) had krausen stuck to the sides and yeast sediment at the bottom but the third (red ale) had none? Just wondering why that is, the only one that was filtered before primary was the porter which has krausen and sediment in secondary. I transfered to secondary properly with auto-siphon and did not bring in much sediment from primary (all three had sediment in primary.) Was the IPA and porter perhaps not fully fermented?

Thanks

Well, more details of each would be needed to make a guess.

Already asked - how long in primary?
What are the OG's and FG's of each?
What are the ABV's?
What are the yeasts?
What were the temps during fermentation?
What were the recipes?

Those might explain why the IPA was so clean.

How long were they in primary before you racked to secondary?
Primary for 1 week. (5 days 60C 2 days 70C)

Well, more details of each would be needed to make a guess.

Already asked - how long in primary?
What are the OG's and FG's of each?
What are the ABV's?
What are the yeasts?
What were the temps during fermentation?
What were the recipes?

Those might explain why the IPA was so clean.

The ipa was not with sediment (along with the porter) the red ale was without. The OG of red ale was 1.060 fg 1.015. OG of the IPA was 1.075 FG 1.014, both extract. ABV 6 and 8, yeast for red ale was notingham ale yeast , and the ipa was safale us-05. Temperature was 60C primary for 5 days(primary), 2 days at 70C(primary), then kept at 50 - 60C range for entire secondary. Unfortunately i do not have the recipes listed with me right now but i will post them tommorow (they are in the basement.)

If processes and temps are similar for the three beers, the yeasts would explain it. Nottingham is known to flocculate and drop quickly after attenuation is complete. US-05 has a reputation of being slow to flocculate, some would say painfully slow.

If US-05 is right for you, then you can wait it out in secondary or consider finings. Finings are something that I don't like to do, so I avoid the US-05. Cold crashing is an option if you are very strong and have a fridge to do so.

I use WLP001 California Ale yeast most of the time.

If processes and temps are similar for the three beers, the yeasts would explain it. Nottingham is known to flocculate and drop quickly after attenuation is complete. US-05 has a reputation of being slow to flocculate, some would say painfully slow.

If US-05 is right for you, then you can wait it out in secondary or consider finings. Finings are something that I don't like to do, so I avoid the US-05. Cold crashing is an option if you are very strong and have a fridge to do so.

I use WLP001 California Ale yeast most of the time.

I see, that makes sense! I didn't even consider that it could be the different strains of yeast. Thanks

Back