Securing dry hops with dental floss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
I am assuming to do this you just pull the string out of the top of the keg and then pull the seal. So I will have the string hanging out at the top of the keg?

Some feel that you may not get a good seal using that method. If your keg has a little bump inside of the lid where the pressure release valve is, you can attach it there with a hose small clamp. I'm going to try something new with the IPA I currently have fermenting. I have some extra neodymium magnets left over from when I put the stir plate together. Should be able to hang the dry hops in a bag with some fishing line and stick it to the lid with a magnet...

and of course the only floss i have in the house right now is mint....not putting that in my black ipa...dammit, always somethin

anyone just throw the hops in a bag and let it sink with no problems?

Magnets do not stick to stainless

I apologise in advance:off:, but I just can't stop myself...

Magnetic "stainless steel" alloys do indeed exist. Granted, kegs or any other household or food grade "stainless" item would never be made of such an alloy, but they do exist.

I apologise again, and now return you to your regularily scheduled discussion:eek:

Magnets do not stick to stainless

They, indeed, do not. I haven't checked back with this post until just now and I just attempted the magnet thing. Alas, it no sticky... I also found out that I'm out of small hose clamps. (My other suggestion) So I now have the fishing line secured with the lid and gasket. And I'm pretty sure it'll turn out just fine. Just another in the long line of RDWHAHB moments.

Latest posts

Back