SEconday Belgian Tripel/Bottle Condition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDogBrewing

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian Tripel OG 1.082 on 9/25 that was slow to ferment, even with a starter, I ended up pitching a second Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity. It spent a month in the primary and the FG was 1.014 when I transferred to the secondary., How long can I let this secondary and still have enough viable yeast to carbonate in the bottles? I have had 2 beers in the past that I left a while in secondary and never carbonated, so I don't want that to happen to this tripel. Do I need to add more yeast at bottling then? If so, what kind should I use? I was hoping to let this clarify in secondary for a month or two. Thanks.

Someday I'll learn to type...

you didn't even need to rack that to secondary if it was sitting in your primary for a month...that's more than enough time to clear the beer. when you bottle, throw in some lelvin ec1118 yeast with your priming sugar when its cooled, put that in your priming tank then rack your beer over that and bottle. Thats a sure way to know your beer will carbonate. For big beers like that, i think its a good idea.

I had a similar concern about my golden strong ale (1.069 to 1.004, so almost the same ABV as yours). I left it in the primary for seven weeks and then went straight to bottles. It's been a week and, while I don't expect they'll be carbonated yet, I put one in the fridge last night because I just have to try one.

I'm hoping there's a little sign of carbonation, though. There is a lot more sediment in the bottles now than I recall from right after bottling. So that's yeast propagation or there was a lot more stirred up wen I bottled and it all settled out. Though, it looked pretty clear when I was bottling.

Back