Secondary w/ bad seal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mauldice

Reaction score
So I just checked on my Irish Red that is conditioning in a secondary right now. Apparently sometime between when I put it in there 7 days ago and now, the blow-off tube that I have been using had fallen out of the water leaving the beer open to the air in my ferm chiller.

Will this over oxidate my beer? possibly infect it? thoughts? suggestions? consolations?

Most likely your beer is fine, there is probably enough CO2 pressure to keep any nasties out. Just place the blow off tube back in a container of sanitized solution (i.e. Star San).

Most likely your beer is fine...

+1 to that. Had that happen to me when I was originally in brewing and fretted something fierce. Beer turned out fine. I've even had the krausen blow through the airlock once, had to hook up a set up like you describe (jar of water and 3/8" tubing) and in the end it still was great.

Back