Secondary Still Active?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davida

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been home brewing for almost a year now with good results. Nothing too complex but real yummy. Extract brewing with some grain adjuncts.

Right now I have an Oktoberfest / Marzen (can't lager) ale in my secondary from a recipe I got off the website. It was in the primary for 14 days. The FG was stable and right on the money (1013). It has been in the secondary now for 7 days and I am still seeing activity through the fermentation lock.

I secondary age all my brews for 14 days after primary is complete. This is the first time I have seen activity in the secondary.

Should I be concerned?
:confused:

Nothing to worry about, completely normal. Secondary is just another place for fermentation to keep going just off the bulk of the primary yeast.

When I secondary, I do so at a slightly higher temperature and have similar activity every time.

Such "activity" can be the result of changing temperature. CO2 coming out of solution or air and liquid expanding in a warming room is common. If your FG is on target, there is little or no sugar left for the yeast to feast.

Odd, I just bottled an Oktoberfest / Marzen of my own yesterday and had a pretty similar experience. I had it in the primary for 3 weeks, dropped the temp to 45ish for the last 3 days and racked over to secondary (so I could use my primary for something else). I noticed air lock activity for the entire 3 weeks it was on secondary, slow but still there. Strange though, the gravity reading was 1.012 at transfer and 1.010 at bottling 3 weeks later. I didn't expect that at all. I ferment between 66 - 68f. All of this had me wondering if maybe some breweries recirculate and that led me to another thread I found on here. And...there I go wandering off again.

Also, let me add I was not drinking while working with my beer ever since that one time...

Back